1 thing stopping me

Onaps

Confused about dryer sheets
I am a 60 year old widower who would like to quit the 9-5 grind. The only thing stopping me is health insurance. I have diabetes and heart disease and I cannot afford the premiums that I have found for adequate coverage. Do I have to work another 5 years?

n Georgia, it looks like after using COBRA you are either entitled to a conversion policy and if one isn't available, the state provides a mechanism for you to buy a different policy. According to Pilzer's online guide, he says for Georgia:
HIPAA-eligible individuals: Applicants must elect and exhaust available COBRA coverage. If the applicant is coming off a self-insured plan, the state assigns a private insurer to provide individual health insurance. If the applicant is coming off an employer plan provided by an insurance company, the insurer is required to convert coverage to an individual policy.

As Brewer mentioned, you should also read this site: Georgia health insurance and for more information, contact the Georgia Insurance Department Consumer Services Division at 1-800-656-2298 or (404) 656-2070.

Tangomonster's husband was in the same position you are and he ended up with a conversion policy IIRC. She might have some information on cost.

I am a 60 year old widower who would like to quit the 9-5 grind. The only thing stopping me is health insurance. I have diabetes and heart disease and I cannot afford the premiums that I have found for adequate coverage. Do I have to work another 5 years?

That's a tough one. My DW is a RN (FIREd this year at 54). Several other RNs knew had retired earlier but came back to work because of the need for medical insuranse. Thankfully, DW is covered under my military insurance, Tricare Prime.

Thanks for the responses. What I see looks possible.

Onaps, would you consider moving out of state? The differences from state to state can be considerable. Or out of the country? There are expats living in Mexico who swear by the health care they receive.

Coach

Welcome onaps!

I was 60 last June, just retired in Aug and have COBRA for 1-1/2 yrs. While I do not have anything wonderful like fully-funded (or heavily subsidized) retirement health insurance, I do have guaranteed coverage, no deductible, 100% of most things covered after co-pays. Premiums are not subsidized by the company, but after COBRA the insurance will cost around $500/mo. That sounds horrible to me, but given some of the premiums I have heard quoted lately, I guess not so bad for me at my age. Honestly, I can't imagine having to pay more than $500-$600 per month. That is right at the top of my range. If it goes much higher before Medicare, I will go for a high deductible/HSA situation.

I hope you can find something workable so you don't feel like you have to work 5 more years. Good luck and keep us posted.

Be sure to call them.

n Georgia, it looks like after using COBRA you are either entitled to a conversion policy and if one isn't available, the state provides a mechanism for you to buy a different policy. According to Pilzer's online guide, he says for Georgia:
HIPAA-eligible individuals: Applicants must elect and exhaust available COBRA coverage. If the applicant is coming off a self-insured plan, the state assigns a private insurer to provide individual health insurance. If the applicant is coming off an employer plan provided by an insurance company, the insurer is required to convert coverage to an individual policy.

As Brewer mentioned, you should also read this site: Georgia health insurance and for more information, contact the Georgia Insurance Department Consumer Services Division at 1-800-656-2298 or (404) 656-2070.

Tangomonster's husband was in the same position you are and he ended up with a conversion policy IIRC. She might have some information on cost.

As they don't return email requests for information. Or at least they ignored me when I was looking for the same info.

Jim.

Back
Top Bottom