Join Early Retirement Today

Re: 1000 days
Old 01-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Lambert's is just south of Springfield at Ozark, MO just off the interstate on the east side, it's the "home of the throwed rolls". Great place to eat, go hungry for some good grub.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK! Thanks, Larry. I'll keep Lamberts in mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Lambert's is just south of Springfield at Ozark, MO just off the interstate on the east side, it's the "home of the throwed rolls". Great place to eat, go hungry for some good grub.
OH, YEAH!!! LOVE Lambert's!!! When I go there, they have to get the wheelbarrow to get me out!!! So much YUMMY stuff!!! I can hardly wait to go back!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like I'll have to skip lunch for a week just to go there once! How nice to learn about a good restaurant.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
Here are our highest priority criteria: Frank and I want to live in a town from 50,000-200,000 in population, with extremely low housing costs (including property taxes), low cost of living, and low crime. (Arizona is out because I don't want to live in the same state as my ex.) Among the subset of towns that meet those criteria, we'd like as warm a climate as possible but we absolutely will not consider any in a region where we feel we could be subjected to severe hurricanes. Although we realize that no place is immune from natural disasters, we simply refuse to go through another hurricane and that possibility is a deal-breaker for us.

(If anybody can think of some other towns that meet these criteria, I'd like to consider them as well. )
Have you considered southern New Mexico - its warm, cheap and Las Cruces falls between "50,000-200,000 in population".
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

That's an interesting option. I hadn't thought of Las Cruces. Las Cruces also has a state university, which is a plus.

I'm going to look into Las Cruces a little more deeply. Thanks for the idea!

So far I have found the following, after checking bestplaces.net, census.gov, and bankrate.com:

- - - Median home price in Las Cruces is $28,800 higher than in Springfield and is rising at 13.18%,
as opposed to 5.62% in Springfield.

- - - Crime rate is reported as being slightly higher in Las Cruces than in Springfield.

- - - Overall cost of living is 4.92% greater in Las Cruces than in Springfield.

These are not huge disparities and Las Cruces does look like a pleasant town.

As for the factors mentioned by Oldbabe, the weather is probably better in Las Cruces, I would imagine. Las Cruces is 57.5% Hispanic/Latino, and I don't speak Spanish. I would probably fit in a little better with the conservative religious WASPs in Springfield than I would in a primarily Hispanic populace in Las Cruces. Las Cruces still sounds like a nice place.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #27

With all the criteria you listed, I thought of Ft. Collins, colorado. I don't think it's as cheap as Springfield, but you might take a look. Major univerisity, thriving business district, hiking close by.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We originally rejected Fort Collins because Frank lived there briefly and didn't like it. Probably the more liberal atmosphere which would appeal to you, is what he didn't like (from his comments when he talks about it). But putting that aside, you're so right about the cost - - median home price there is $138,200 more than median home price in Springfield, more than twice the price, and so that does not meet our primary criterion of extremely low housing costs. Thanks for the idea, though.

Have you thought about Fort Collins? I guess maybe it's too cold to meet your criteria, with average low temperatures being below freezing for five months out of the year. That's even worse than Springfield, in that respect.