Join Early Retirement Today

18 years active duty facing medical retirement board
Old 07-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

18 years active duty facing medical retirement board

Hello first time in forum. I am an Army soldier with 18 years active duty, I have just received a permanent P3 profile and referral to an MEB/PEB. Any insight as to what may be the outcome as far as my 18 years vs medical retirement goes?
lso1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, LSO.

Even if you provided more details, we haven't a clue. Each case is evaluated on its own merits and may be affected by whatever funding or medical/rehab techniques or even political/media influence is sweeping the service that month. For example MEBs/PEBs are letting (or requiring) many soldiers remain on active duty until they hit a retirement limit like high-year tenure for their rank.

The good news is that since you've attained a total of 18 years of service, you're protected by federal Title X legislation to be eligible for retirement (although it might be reduced since it's less than 20 years) or the Temporary Disabled Retired List.

Many in the medical community (and the SF) view medical retirement as something to be done just before a veteran dies of injuries. Apparently medical-retirement survivor's benefits are considered better than the ones received when the sponsor dies on active duty. So I don't know how popular medical retirement is for live veterans when TDRL can be applied for several years to re-evaluate the effects (if any) of healing & rehab.

As a separate issue you may also be eligible for disability payments from the VA. Taxable retirement pensions used to be reduced by every dollar of tax-free disability payments but that's no longer the case.

Here's some suggestions:
- Visit your base legal people and ask to read the instructions. You want to hear their stories and read their guides/pamphlets, too, but it's best to read the same instructions that the MEB/PEB are using against for you. Ask them if there's any way to acquire an advocate or an ombudsman who can monitor your case and make sure you're treated right.

- Visit the instructors of the local transition assistance course for retiring veterans. (In the Navy it's called the Transition Assistance Program [TAP] course and it's taught at the Family Readiness Center or whatever we're calling it this year.) They know the general provisions of veteran's benefits programs. More importantly they have the references & instructions and they know who to call for questions.

- Get a copy of the book "Your Military Advantage" by Chris Michel (the founder of Military.com). He lays out the best benefits explanation I've ever read, along with resources and references to the source documents.

- Post to Military.com. There are hundreds of veterans who may be going through the same situation as you.

- Post to GruntsMilitary.com :: Index . I gotta warn you that these guys have a few rough edges, but many of them are 100% disabled and can tell you exactly how to make the process work for you. They do not, however, tolerate fools or stupidity.

- Visit one of your local veteran's organizations like the American Legion or the VFW and ask for their advice. They'll be able to tell you about the local VA or other resources.

- If you rate a Purple Heart then make sure you get it and that it's on your DD-214. It has a bearing on both your pension and your veteran's benefits.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Physical Evaluation Board

This site is run by an ex-Army JAG who served at the Physical Evaluation Board handling cases and is now a civilian lawyer. In here in everything from the 2008 NDAA (the new law stating how medical boards will treat cases) to the VASRD which they will rate your disabilites on. He also gives out free advice to help you in your case.

I'll add something to what Nords said about TAP class. In addition to that, talk to your PEBLO or whoever is putting your packet together and and get scheduled for a DTAP class as well. DTAP is useful as it is, but depending on where you are it could also put you in the BDD (Benefits Disability at Discharge) program, which the VA uses to try to get you a rating while you are still in service. It's supposed to cut the wait from 1-2 years after you get your DD-214 to 30-90 days after you get separated.

TDRL seems to be the most common outcome to a board with a disability rating high enough to get you medical retirement, but there is a possibility of PDRL, which is permanent retirement instead of temporary. It all depends, but I hope you check out the PEB forum and get a good idea of where you stand.

Good luck!