Join Early Retirement Today
20 and Planning.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
20 and Planning.

I am twenty year old male who recently received his associates degree after 3 years of completing it (including some bachelor work). Currently I am working at walmart, have one small personal loan of 100 dollars I will pay off by next month, and have no other obligations. I make around 920 a month and spend around 150 on various things including paying for my room and my parent's house. Until recently I was saving to maybe purchase a cheap fixer upper, assuming a rate of 10% down, but apparently I would need investor rates of 20% any ways,which slightly depressed me.

As for hobbies, I write (mostly philosophical/political/business stuff), read, travel (went to Panama this past year and plan on going to Florida and some other places this next time round), invest, learn, program, walk, volunteer politically, hang with my friend and GF, and occasionally indulge in frivolous entertainment. On a side topic I was home educated.

My eventual goal is to have some source of income free of my physical presence that could provide an income to arbitrage the cost of living between the US and the country I choose (leaning Colombia or Chile). I am depressed about the track this country is on and would like to contribute my best years to a country that values hard work and my labour. I know in the mean time I am stuck here, but those are my long term goals. I have some experience investing in stocks, and I may dip in a bit more, but I am finding it harder and harder to find value opportunities (in a traditional sense) and as such I am looking into other avenues. On a side note I am interested in a modified PT life style, but for obvious reasons I need to have a US income for the time being until I could find something to replace it.

I guess I would like to get some input on my plans and any ideas you may come up with. I plan on travelling a small bit in the next few years. Thanks.

vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As someone who was once in your shoes, here's what I wish I'd known then:

1. Read this book.

2. Do what it says.

3. Avoid real estate. Stay free and flexible.

4. Retire early and enjoy.
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote

20 yo, expat, investing, newbie, retire