Join Early Retirement Today

2008 will start my retirement
Old 08-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

2008 will start my retirement

Hello,
I am going to be let go (retired) after December 31st of this year. The community bank that I have worked at for 33 1/2 years has now been sold and the department I work in, plus several other departments, will be dissolved.

I was not planning on retiring quite this soon, I had hoped to wait until I was at least 59 1/2, but I will get through this. My husband wants to retire in January 2008.

I came across this website and really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions that I see from so many people.

Hopefully we wiill be able to make the money we have in my 401K, my Employee Stock Ownership Plan, my husband's 457B and and several $ worth of I-Bonds, etc. work for us to provide a decent retirement. My husband is confident, but I am scared to stick my foot in the water.
nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Reeder. Between you and your husband I trust you will find a balance. Amazing that you worked in one bank for 33+ years. Many bankers that I know float from bank to bank.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board. Forced retirement is no fun but many here have done so and have made it work. Run the numbers and make sure you know your real expenses. If you have enough to make it then don't worry. If not, then consider cutting expenses first and finding another job as a last resort.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Don't be scared. As a backup plan, maybe you could help your husband start a small business on the side that could earn some extra money and not be all-consuming, like a tax preparation service or financial consulting for other small businesses. I am sure if you think about it for a while there are tons of possibilities. Just because you and your husband are retiring, it doesn't mean that you have to stop earning income.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome nascar. You wound up at the right place. Plenty of people to compare note with.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

From Canada !! We want to keep our house but rent for 3 months a year in different places (Texas, Arkansas anywhere with no snow). I'm having trouble searching this out on the internet though. Anybody know of any good sites I'm missing?
Readytogo is offline   Reply With Quote