2012 mayan prediction ?

There seem to be a growing number of Americans that are claiming to be unprepared for retirement because they feel the world is going to end (citing 2012 Maya, or some other apocalypse)...

my guess is that this is just a convenient cover for their real situation (be it unemployment, poor planning, massive debt)... but I'm started to get concerned that a number of them really are dropping all safety nets for the future because they truly believe they'll never be alive to see 60...

those people are sure in for a rude awakening... and very depressing 'retirement.' Sadly, many of us will pay the price for it on some level (through more taxes)

There seem to be a growing number of Americans that are claiming to be unprepared for retirement because they feel the world is going to end (citing 2012 Maya, or some other apocalypse)...

my guess is that this is just a convenient cover for their real situation (be it unemployment, poor planning, massive debt)... but I'm started to get concerned that a number of them really are dropping all safety nets for the future because they truly believe they'll never be alive to see 60...

those people are sure in for a rude awakening... and very depressing 'retirement.' Sadly, many of us will pay the price for it on some level (through more taxes)

I think some people had the same response due to wild rumors about the end of the world when the millenium ended.

I remember the morning of 1/1/2000. I awakened at about 6 AM, went outside and was glad to see the world as I know it, and went for a drive. Even though I had been bravely saying on the internet that nothing bad was going to happen, still I took some money out of an ATM that morning just to make sure it would work. :ROFLMAO:

Oh no, not again!

Would someone please start a recipe thread to help me use up all those survival rations in the basement?

Last time we went through this, I got really tired of it before I used up my stash of Y2K supplies.

There are only so many ways to prepare Biscuit, Survival, Dehydrated, Long Shelf Life.

;)

Oh no, not again!

Would someone please start a recipe thread to help me use up all those survival rations in the basement?

Last time we went through this, I got really tired of it before I used up my stash of Y2K supplies.

There are only so many ways to prepare Biscuit, Survival, Dehydrated, Long Shelf Life.

;)
You need a recipe for beer? Of all people...

So when is the end of the world based on the newly discovered Mayan calendar? I didn't see an date in the article and I want to know so I can adjust withdrawals to die broke that day... :cool:

People have been harping on this for at least 30 years. Its not newly discovered. Heck the Mayans were so scared of it that they ended their part of civilation more than 1000 years ago in anticipation. That would be an.......ti..............ci..........pay...eh.......eh.......eh.....shun. Wasn't there a some about this by maybe the Rolling Stones:confused:

I think some people had the same response due to wild rumors about the end of the world when the millenium ended.

I remember the morning of 1/1/2000. I awakened at about 6 AM, went outside and was glad to see the world as I know it, and went for a drive. Even though I had been bravely saying on the internet that nothing bad was going to happen, still I took some money out of an ATM that morning just to make sure it would work. :ROFLMAO:

Obviously you weren't working in IT. We all had to be at work all night that night, in case the digital world ended, and were just getting home to go to bed at 6 AM.

Whee!

Newly discovered Mayan calendar goes way past 2012

Good thing we did save for retirement!

Given how through a job the Spanish and priests did in destroying the mayan and aztec records it is not suprising that when we go into the jungle we find more out. Also the jungle condition of the towns shows that given enough time mother nature can repair any damage we do. Of course it might kill us off but then...

I worked that evening, but as I was in the central time zone I was concerned about 6pm (since so much of the computer infrastructure, including the routers on the web runs on GMT (Coordinated Universal Time). (Note that Win 2k and up run internally on GMT also and just translate the time for display purposes) If anything was going to happen it would have been then when the internet would go down. It did not so.So when the fireworks from London showed up on the TV at 6 pm one knew things would be ok.

I worked that evening, but as I was in the central time zone I was concerned about 6pm (since so much of the computer infrastructure, including the routers on the web runs on GMT (Coordinated Universal Time). (Note that Win 2k and up run internally on GMT also and just translate the time for display purposes) If anything was going to happen it would have been then when the internet would go down. It did not so.So when the fireworks from London showed up on the TV at 6 pm one knew things would be ok.

Well, yeah, that's what I was saying on the internet too.... :D

Well, guess we're safe until 2038 now. That's still within my anticipated/hopeful lifetime. It will be interesting to see how may "end of the world" scenarios pop up between now and then.

I just checked and the date is Jan 19 2038 at 3 14 ut that the 32 bit time rolls over (the number of seconds since Jan 1 1970) and the time value goes negative. Note that newer 64 bit systems time out on Dec 4 292,277,026,596. By which time the sun will have consumed the earth and turned into a white dwarf.

Back
Top Bottom