Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What's Your W$rking Status?
FD - Financially Dependent (on a j#b) 11 8.66%
FI - Financially Independent, but still w$rking 26 20.47%
FIRE - Yeah! 77 60.63%
Mostly FIRE - RE, but w$rking part time or for fun 13 10.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

2020 Census - ER Members
Old 12-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2020 Census - ER Members

I often wonder about members here...are they still w#rking, FI, FIRE, or other? Here's a poll to try to answer the question, from a numbers perspective!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired the beginning of 2018, but DW still works to get a pension and retiree health care (less than three more years until she's eligible), so I answered "Financially Independent, but still w$rking".
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #3

When I first joined here, I was still working and thought that I was dependent on the job. A few short years later (along with additional savings and some critical thought), I was both FI & RE.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stopped my on call work earlier this year, so finally FIREd! Although, not as early as others on this site. :-)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #5

none of the above. Involuntary early retirement and as the Bruce Hornsby song says "Cause they can't buy a job". I was LBYM and with ACA subsidies things are working OK so far. Declining interest rates and the spectre of inflation is going to keep it "interesting"... so I wouldn't call us "FI" just yet.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

I was watching value of my portfolio almost daily, hating my job and wanting to quit as early as possible. But once I reached my magic number, I started not hating my job and sometimes even enjoying it. So I’m squarely FI but not RE yet.
klondike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #7

I marked FI, but with net assets at $850k I think most here would consider me fd.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We are FI but for complicated reasons (DW, OMY syndrome, HC, psychological, you name it) I am still w#rking. I could write a book with the following title: “Why Leaving the W#rkforce Should Be Easy But, in Reality, Can Be More Complicated Than One Anticipates.”
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The former employer would have renewed my part-time contract yet again if we hadn't physically moved away. Now living on pensions and savings. Sometimes, I wish I'd continued to work another couple of years (p/t) to get enough quarters for SS, but...nah. We'll manage without.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #10

I voted FD, but started second guessing myself as soon as I did. If I was to get laid off tomorrow, I don't think I'd seriously start looking for another j*b. I'm going through a bit of One More Year syndrome, and at this point, just letting the j*b pay my health insurance, pay my bills, pad my SS, add to my 401k, and in general, letting the investments continue to grow.

If I was suddenly thrust into the ranks of the unemployed, I'd probably be nervous at first, tighten down on the spending a bit, but after a bit, I have a feeling I'd be comfortable with my new lot in life
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you consider yourself FI if your retirement depends on SS to go the distance?
baseman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #12

We are FI and semi-RE. DW works 1 day per week and I work 2.5 days. About 40 weeks a year.

I've seen semi-RE since 2015. Probably about two more years to go. Enjoying the relaxed lifestyle and our earnings still cover our entire cost of living.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman250 View Post
Do you consider yourself FI if your retirement depends on SS to go the distance?
My view on that would depend on my age. If I were 50 or older, I would be comfortable doing so on the calculated risk that even if Congress changes it, they are apt to change the rules for younger folks, not folks who are closer to the finish line.

For the same reason, if I were 35 or younger, I might apply a discount factor to SS before relying upon it.

I do believe it is fair and just to include SS in some form or fashion in the FIRE analysis.
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
I personally consider SS and/or a pension an earned benefit, and part of the security in your retirement plan. If you follow the 4% rule and RE, you may not ever need to tap SS, except in the case of a bad sequence of returns. If I don't hit a bad SOR, then I plan to increase my spending when I hit 67 to 70 and start taking SS!
Old 12-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #15

We are FI. I'm still working part time, averaging less than 10 hours per week teaching online college classes, because I still enjoy doing a little bit of it. It's easy since I can work from home (or anywhere with Internet access) and do it on my own schedule. No stress and none of the typical BS that jobs often generate.

But the enjoyment level is waning and I suspect I will become part of the class of 2020.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #16

2020 is our year to retire. DH could have RE 2 years ago and collected full pension and retiree healthcare. Since we will require our jobs income until he collects his pension I voted FI
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely, if your actual savings, pension and SS is all you need to go the distance. However, if you are "dependent" on things like Market returns to fund your retirement, then I'd question if you are FI or even ready to retire.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #18

Been retired for seventeen years now but that includes a five-year period when I "fell off the wagon" and had a job for a while.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #19

I still do just a little editing for pay. The subject matter (old cars) is generally fun, and it's a little ego boost to think I've still got the knack. Plus, the car owners are always thrilled to hear from me. The checks arrive on time ... guess I'll keep it up for a while longer.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Been retired for seventeen years now but that includes a five-year period when I "fell off the wagon" and had a job for a while.

That's okay, even the best of us can slip up occasionally. Did the WA (workers anonymous) meetings help?
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
census, er members, fire