Join Early Retirement Today

23, Young Dreamer, Seeking Retirement by 40
Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

23, Young Dreamer, Seeking Retirement by 40

Hello, everybody. I have been lurking around the forum here for a few days and it seems like this is a pretty neat-o place to talk about early retirement. I just turned 23, have about 95K in assets (mostly due to an over-funded college account left to me by my parents, and inheritances from grandparents), and am determined to retire by 40. Or earlier. 35 would be nice.

I will be starting grad school in June to begin my MBA, which will cost about 25k. Should turn out to be a good investment when I'm able to boost my income after graduation, planned for December, 2015. Girlfriend and I will be married in a few years, too, so we will benefit from double income. Would like to have a few kids along the way as well.

Running, reading, grilling, being outdoors for any reason, and spending time with my girlfriend are some of my favorite things to do. I feel that my day job is a huge sinkhole of time which could be spent doing infinitely more awesome activities, which is why I'm here learning about ER.

I am looking forward to absorbing a lot of good information from this site. If anyone has any quick advice for someone like me, feel free to lay it on me. Thanks for reading.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome!

Focus on your savings rate - this is most important for young people. Pick a sensible starting point (at 23, mine was 10% of gross) and grow it year by year as your income increases (now 36 with a much larger income, we save 40%+). Try not to ever reduce it until you pull the plug, unless the stuff really hits the fan. This will help you always LBYM.

Before you know it, you'll have a sizable nest egg (you already do for a 23-year-old!) and ER will be on the horizon.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

Thanks, Nash. My savings rate is about 15% of gross income currently, and as you said, I would like to increase that to 50% or higher as my income increases. I think I have a pretty good plan, it's just the waiting part that's tough.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Make sure that your GF is really on board with this. Actual perspectives can change a lot after you finish the educational phase of life, and begin the and asset accumulation phase. But the most important change comes after you have kids, especially for the mother. Perspectives can change dramatically. As others have pointed out "marrying well" is maybe the most important part of FI. Divorce (as unthinkable as it might seem now) can throw you back 20 years. It is not about whether your partner is good or bad, but just that desires and expectations often can get out of sync.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #5

Thanks, Mr. Gates.

I am open to my perspective and goals changing. My main goal is for my family and I to be happy. Right now my plan is to retire early to achieve that, but I do realize that after getting married, having kids, etc., priorities may shift.

My GF is even more frugal than I am, and we have been dating for 5+ years, so I am very confident in that regard.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Age 23? Aggressive mutual funds on auto pilot savings. You got lots o livin' to do.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Age 23? Aggressive mutual funds on auto pilot savings. You got lots o livin' to do.
I agree, Joe. I am heavily invested in VTSMX and VBK (vanguard small cap growth).
Old 05-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
No way!
Skip life and just get busy with misering.

Ha