Join Early Retirement Today

24 year old with a dream
Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

24 year old with a dream

Hey all,

I am 24 years old and my goal/dream is to FIRE or at least be FI in my early 40s. This is a difficult goal, but one that I believe it achievable, based on a very useful spreadsheet that maps out income/taxes/inflation/CoL/whole other range of things and then tells you how much you will be living on at a particular retirement age.

The important numbers are, I want to have about 4M when I retire, and plan to do it with a very generous income, save 40% of my gross income, only increase spending based on inflation and of course maximize tax-free and tax-deferred accounts when I have them available to me.

I have a general idea of a proper investment plan (low expense, moderately aggressive passive indexing). Currently maximizing Roth space, I won't have access to Roths in a few years and I need as much tax-free space as I can get. Still working on information on how to build passive income through real estate, slowly picking up good information as I go, but this project has yet to begin, I don't have a steady flow of income yet since I am still a student, so a 20% down-payment would be tough for getting started and then maintaining costs.

It is good to be here!
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #2

Welcome! Congrats on starting to plan so early - that can definitely put you way ahead.

Many here have found that passive income from investments is a lot less work than real estate. Proceed with skepticism - there's no shortage of books on how to make a ton of money in real estate but most of them should be in the "get rich quick" category and read for entertainment value only

Also, if you're willing to share, what career path are you on that you expect such a high salary? 4M in 20 years is definitely ambitious.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
Also, if you're willing to share, what career path are you on that you expect such a high salary? 4M in 20 years is definitely ambitious.
Especially if you mean $4 million in 2008 dollars (?).
Old 05-04-2008, 03:12 AM   #4

Probably not 4M in 2008 dollars, that would require something in the 7-8M actual dollar range in my early 40s. If I wanted 4M in 2008 dollars, I would probably have to work a bit longer, probably up to my late 40s. It would be about the equivalent of retiring on 2.5M in 2008 dollars. It would be comfortable, and likely pay for health insurance, but not much more than that. I will either work very part-time after that or build some other form of passive income for a bit of a cushion. My career is a combination of electrical engineering/law and possibly could have a bit of a financial/business bent as well depending on what I do in the future. It requires being adept with numbers/technology (especially technology)/reading/writing/communication skills/business...pretty much everything.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote