Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

24 yr old vet student in loads of debt!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

24 yr old vet student in loads of debt!

I'm a 24 year old vet student with $56,000 in student loans. I'm in the middle of my second year and will graduate in 2015. I have no income; I live strictly on student loans and only have time to work during the summer. My estimated debt upon graduation will be $128,000.

Aside from vet school, I'm a figure athlete and fitness enthusiast. Most of all, I'm excited to interact with people who know more about money than I!
Cjdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh crap. Youre living on part of your student loans?

Thats not a good strategy. In fact, Im 100% certain that you can graduate with significantly less than 128K in debt. Do some soul-searching. You have got to think of some ways to cut costs or raise income.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome!
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
Administrator

Hi cjdavi. What school are you enrolled in? Isn't there any possibility for financial assistance from them?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjdavi View Post
I'm a 24 year old vet student with $56,000 in student loans. I'm in the middle of my second year and will graduate in 2015. I have no income; I live strictly on student loans and only have time to work during the summer. My estimated debt upon graduation will be $128,000....
I wouldn't be surprised if this is not very typical of vet and med school students. You should have no trouble paying it back once you start practicing.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello Cjdavi,

I think that is a great field to be in. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there are about 2500 graduates each year compared to roughly 2200 new jobs each year. The amount of student debt you will have accumulated is right up there with most grad students. Are you specializing in anything that will give you an edge over the other grads for a job? Or are you starting your own practice?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds a bit like my nephew.... but he is planning to work on people instead of animals....

Good luck in your future...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good luck and congrats--it is super hard to get in to vet school, that's for sure.
Our much-loved own vets seem so much happier (yes, even with the debt load) than their "people doc" counterparts. Just keep the lifestyle in check once you get out and try to get the debt done as quickly as possible when you get out.
Working emergency or specialty medicine (and working the odd shifts) will go a long way to getting you where you want to be. And then you can look at buying or starting a practice of your own. That is when your lifestyle sacrifices will be worthwhile.

My own vets just started their own practice this past year, after working about 8 years for another general practice vet. They seem so much happier and in control of their schedule now.

Welcome!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How many people have got 2 to 3 years into a degree program and not finished it? Or something else happens that prevents them from getting the high paying job.

Better minimize what you borrow as much as you can. Don't count on future earnings too much. They are not a sure thing.