Join Early Retirement Today
25 and on my way... but a few questions, please.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
25 and on my way... but a few questions, please.

I'm 25 years old and have been maxing my ROTH IRA since I was 18. I currently have an additional $400/week that can be directed toward retirement savings. I have no options at work so I've been dumping into a taxable account with Vanguard. Is there a more tax efficient way to save after the ROTH is fully funded?

My ROTH is currently 100% invested in VFIFX... should I trust this "automatic" allocation approach, or would I be better served controlling allocation myself?

Also, I have $160,000 saved for a down payment on my first home, and I'm looking in the $250-$300K range. Considering historic interest rates, should I put down the minimum to avoid PMI, say 20%, or should I go ahead and flop the entire $160K down? This would leave me with $20,000 emergency fund.

dpruitt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Congrats on your excellent progress to date.

I would just keep plugging away putting money in tax-efficient vehicles in your Vanguard account. I would only put down 20% on the house so that you maintain your flexibility.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Why are you looking in the $250-300K range for your first house? You can get a nice house in Atlanta for <$160,000. Pay cash and maybe even have a little left over. If, for some reason, you decide to buy a more expensive house, then only put down 20% unless you can pay it all off in full. It sounds like you're doing very well overall so far but don't ruin that by buying a house that is more than you need.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
Welcome to the board, you are doing great!
For your new house I would only pay 20% down to avoid PMI.
As Brewer said this gives you better flexibility & liquidity.
The house price seem high in general for the metro area (although not out of the line for posh neighborhoods) - Where in Atlanta area are you looking for a house?

For now keep using VFIFX - it's a decent fund with low expense ratio, but eventually you want to educate yourself about asset allocation (and this can be all done within your Vanguard account)
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Congratulations for being so well informed and seeking investment knowledge. I wish I was that smart at 25. I would ditto the response of not buying more house than you need. Trying to 'keep up with the Joneses' can hamper your saving potential. I made that mistake at one time in my life.
robbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
You may not need to put down 20% to avoid PMI. You should be able to take an 80% (30 yr fixed) at 4.85% and 10% (variable) at 5.5% loan that would only require you to put down 10%.

At any point in time you could pay off the 10% variable if you wanted.

That would be the most flexible option. This type of financing is fairly common in today's loan market.
srlimoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
Congratulations! I just used your example for my 19 year old daughter... that it is possible to be almost set for life at 25!

If you are interested at all in the idea of landlording. I would use your deposit money to buy more than one house... in nice areas that are likely to appreciate and cover cashflow... so tenants are paying down your mortgages.

Lots of people start with a duplex or in your case mebe a fourplex to make management and cashflow easier (than single family homes). However, my suspicion is that if you don't need immediate... single family homes for the same $ will appreciate better.

SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote