Join Early Retirement Today

25, Los Angeles Area and eager to be FIRE
Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

25, Los Angeles Area and eager to be FIRE

Hello everyone!

I recently found this forum and think it could be a great resource to me! I am nowhere near being FI or able to RE, but from working in the financial field, it certainly has piqued my interest. I have no assets or any liabilities really as I just graduated in 2012 debt free, and have been working as financial service provider at a New York Life, which has been a wonderful company to work for! I've perused the website a bit before joining and I hope that I am able to become as FI as some of you amazing savers! I hope to learn and hopefully be able to better my practice from you all!
Wu_wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
gone traveling

What is the latest spiel on CV life insurance?

OK, I'll look at couple of the annuities.
LongPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi LongPrime!

I don't quite understand your question? What do you mean what is the latest spiel on CVLI? Do you mean what's the current dividend rate? current idea behind it?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm afraid you missed that it was a joke. Most of us here bought term life insurance and invested the money we saved.

I found this forum in February. I recommend you read the FAQs and spend some time on the FIRE and money threads. The main thing to do is live below your means and invest what you save after you have you have an emergency fund (6-12 months living expenses). If you have a credit card, always pay it off. Avoid debt when you can. Buy equities, mainly low cost mutual funds. A lot of people here have Vanguard funds, for example. Most of all, ER is a mindset which helps you delay gratification for the larger goal of financial independence. Good luck on your journey.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ah, Thank you EastWest Gal! Jokes and sarcasm are difficult to read in the internet world and as someone eager to learn and share, I guess I got caught off guard with that one. Also thank you for the quickstart tip on how to get started on this forum and in FIRE life! I hope to be able to learn a lot from everyone here! Seeing as this is my first real "financial" forum, I hope I don't come off the wrong way, this is more for personal growth, not business.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hang out here for personal knowledge and education is good. Hang out here to push your professional life is bad. Keep those separate and learn what you can, and ER can be an option for you. Hang around here and it may make you seek alternate employment though......

Or translated = there are not many fans of life insurance other than term life on here

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

That is what I am here for 38Chevy454! My plan on this forum is to learn about doing the right things to help me get into FIRE as smoothly as possible since many of the members on here are well on their way to achieve it. I still believe that what I do, for as long as I plan to do it. What I do as a profession is not right for everyone, some people need the help, others find their own ways. I definitely will not try to push anything onto anyone in this forum, but it won't mean that I won't share insight every once in a while as to why what I do isn't all that bad. TBH, as long as people on here at least understand the needs of the loved ones left behind and purchase term life on themselves, is already good enough for me.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
gone traveling

I have a philosophy about $$$$: Go-for-Broke, as many times as it takes to succeed. The alternative is to be safe and never get there.

Unfortunately, my own personality is contrary to my own philosophy and I am a wimp against my wife.
LongPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu_wu View Post
TBH, as long as people on here at least understand the needs of the loved ones left behind and purchase term life on themselves, is already good enough for me.
Here's some education for you: Many if not most of us who are FI have no need for life insurance, term or otherwise. We will leave behind sufficient assets and do not need to pay a third party for financial assistance.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu_wu View Post
That is what I am here for 38Chevy454! My plan on this forum is to learn about doing the right things to help me get into FIRE as smoothly as possible since many of the members on here are well on their way to achieve it. I still believe that what I do, for as long as I plan to do it. What I do as a profession is not right for everyone, some people need the help, others find their own ways. I definitely will not try to push anything onto anyone in this forum, but it won't mean that I won't share insight every once in a while as to why what I do isn't all that bad. TBH, as long as people on here at least understand the needs of the loved ones left behind and purchase term life on themselves, is already good enough for me.

You might want to spend some time singing small about this stuff and getting the vibe of the forum. NY Life is one of the few companies that I would buy insurance from and I have friends and former colleagues working there. However, singing the praises of permanent life insurance and annuities to a group of high net worth retired people who don't generally need either will win you no fans. We have all seen that movie many times before.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's some education for you: Many if not most of us who are FI have no need for life insurance, term or otherwise. We will leave behind sufficient assets and do not need to pay a third party for financial assistance.
Hello REWahoo! That's great! The fact is that those of you that are FI and have no need for insurance. I'm talking about those still building up to be FI, or those who have other concerns, like estate planning and got some. I also just came from the life insurance thread when answering 38Chevy, which is where I was under the impression that those working towards FI had some coverage in the event they weren't able to make it to FI and want to leave their spouses and loved ones with something.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You might want to spend some time singing small about this stuff and getting the vibe of the forum. NY Life is one of the few companies that I would buy insurance from and I have friends and former colleagues working there. However, singing the praises of permanent life insurance and annuities to a group of high net worth retired people who don't generally need either will win you no fans. We have all seen that movie many times before.
Thanks brewer12345! I understand where you're coming from and will try to keep the praising and "propaganda" a minimum. As it is the only real experience I have in the financial field, life insurance and annuities is the only things I'm knowledgeable about, hence why my few posts were in those threads. But I have been reading and lurking in a lot of the threads and taking in some good information. Again, thank you members that have commented in this thread and helped me get started here!