28 and retired

NYCO

Confused about dryer sheets
No, not yet - made you look. Retired in my mind though, so I want to get there as soon as possible.

I'm 28 and just recently really started thinking about my retirement goals. My dad retired at 54 and I thought that was great, and I hope to retire years earlier than he did. I've pretty much decided I won't have children. I mentor in my spare time as I do like kids.

I've been investing the max I can in my Roth for about 4 years and working on saving more in my individual 401k. I am self employed and I know there are some advantages especially once I start saving more... This forum has been a good resource for that and I just have to be more disciplined about it. I am really bad about putting aside money for taxes and end up with a big bill every April (relatively speaking).

Also affecting my savings amount is my latest purchase with 0% down on a house. I know I know. I sold my old condo in July of 2009 and had paid only 5% down on that one. I ended up making a decent profit after 2 years, but still not enough for 20% down. Plus in my area we can still get those loans and I wanted a house. It's a resort area and I plan on keeping it for a long time and paying it off before the term.

On an unrelated note I find signatures on these forums pretty amusing in a good way. I poke around on a few other forums and the range of signatures depending on the forum (trucks, campers, overlanding, ER, bbq's, hot tubs/pools, etc.) is just awesome.

Thanks to all those who share useful information!

NYCO, welcome to the forum!

Keep up the saving -- that's the way to FIRE.

Coach

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have the financial awareness and self discipline to get 'er done... in a few more years ;)

So, where's your interesting/amusing/provocative signature?

Back
Top Bottom