Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
You guys seem to be doing great. If Ladbrokes offered a bet on your success, I would take it in a second! A combination of enjoying the present and being thoughtful about your financial future.

When my wife stopped working (sometime after kid #2), I was a bit concerned about the impact on our financial goals, and also having all the financial eggs in one basket (my career). I was making very good money, but still -- you never know.

But it all worked out fine. Her staying at home allowed me to focus on career. In retrospect, I wish I had been a bit less focused on career, but it will never be perfect. And we are at a point now -- in early 50s -- with one kid in college and one in high school -- when I could retire. My guess is by the time your kids are in college, you will be in that position too.
Thanks for providing your background. I really appreciate you reflecting on when you were in a very similar spot. I know we are in good financial shape, but it does naturally concern me. The concern isn't enough to not do it, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a little bit difficult to accept the idea of walking away from a strong salary and good benefits, while also then relying on one source of income.

However, I know my wife will be significantly happier, which will make me happier, and the kids will absolutely benefit. My son starts pre-K next August, which introduces fall break, Christmas break, spring break, summer break, etc. He also has started sports, which are only weekends now, but they will only become more time intensive. Ultimately, the knowledge that one or both parents will always be available to attend and support an activity my son or daughter is engaged justifies the decision. We talk about money a lot, but I try to remind myself to appreciate the little moments as often as I can. I think we have struck a good balance between career and home life, but it's a constant juggling act. I think her staying home takes a ball or two out of the air.
Standard Staples is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the update. You are going like a rock star. For high achievers like yourselves, what might be the plan when ER time arrives?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Thanks for the update. You are going like a rock star. For high achievers like yourselves, what might be the plan when ER time arrives?
Well, in a perfect world, I'd really like to call it quits while my kids are still home and stay here for awhile. I think it'd be really cool to have 100% of my time and attention available to the family for the last few years that we all live under the same roof. Obviously, that goal will take a combination of hard work, aggressive saving and luck, but we'll see. Depending on how things go, maybe I could just dial back to something that involves little to no out of state travel.

Once they are both off to or graduated from college, we are set to move to Central Florida. Just about everything we love to do is readily available in that area, including multiple cruise ports, multiple theme parks, plenty of golf courses, etc. I also enjoy woodworking, so I'd love to ramp that up a bit with more time on my hands. I think my wife would like to pick up some part time/seasonal work at a theme park. We met working down there during college, and while I would never go back to that type of work, it has a special place for her, so it's an option.

Truthfully, we would consider going now, as my job is not location-dependent. However, we love our current area as a young family, with a reasonable COL, top rated schools, great friends and neighbors, etc.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, we hit an interesting milestone about a month ago: we passed $1,000,000 in total assets. Obviously $1M in NW is the much bigger milestone, but I guess I thought this would still be a significant moment. I told my wife about it on a walk with our kids, and she just kind of nodded and said "that's cool," and went back to our normal conversation about an upcoming vacation. Truthfully, this is almost exactly how I felt about it, as well. I feel kind of bad, because I'm fully aware that the vast majority of the country will never reach this milestone. I feel like we should have been more excited.

If my boss called and gave me a $5,000 bonus today, I'd be 100 times more excited than I was to hit $1M in assets. I wonder, psychologically, why it wasn't as big of a deal as I might have expected.

There's actually an active thread in the Young Dreamers forum on this exact topic, just with $1M NW rather than $1M assets, so I guess I'm not the only one.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard Staples View Post

If my boss called and gave me a $5,000 bonus today, I'd be 100 times more excited than I was to hit $1M in assets. I wonder, psychologically, why it wasn't as big of a deal as I might have expected.
It's about expectations. You could see for some time that you were approaching $1M in assets. The $5K would be a total surprise.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

The end of another year has come, and it's time for an update! I'm really happy with how we did, and most of my comments feel like deja vu (in a good way). Overall income was up by about 10%, thanks to a scheduled raise, lower but still decent bonus, reliable renters and growing dividends. It's no secret that the market surged at the end of the year, and my two properties continued to gain equity. In terms of net worth, we did manage to both enter and exit the $500K club in the same year, and we are seated firmly in the $600K club. I'm hopeful that through growth and contributions, we can approach the $750K mark by the end of 2017, but I'm hesitant to project any higher. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a market dip, and my wife and I will have a moderate drop in income this year, which I'll explain in the 2017 goals below.

Here's how the end of 2016 looked, when compared with the end of 2015:

================================================== =============

$187,000 Annual Combined Income - $205,000

$63,500 Roth - $80,000
$65,000 Taxable Brokerage - $77,000
$39,100 Rollover IRA - $46,000
$104,700 401k (Combined) - $169,500
$22,400 IRA/Roth IRA (College Savings) - $31,200
$18,000 Cash/HSA - $21,000

Primary Residence: $209,500 Debt ($180,00 Equity) - $201,600 Debt ($218,400 Equity)
Rental Property: $138,400 Debt (-$3,400 Equity) - $135,600 Debt ($14,000 Equity)

NET WORTH END 2014: ~$354,100
NET WORTH END 2015: ~$489,300
NET WORTH END 2016: ~$657,100

2014 Annual Expenses: $57,600
2015 Annual Expenses: $57,300
2016 Annual Expenses: $71,715

2014 Annual Savings: $71,850
2015 Annual Savings: $90,120
2016 Annual Savings: $81,560

2014 Annual Savings Rate: ~55%
2015 Annual Savings Rate: ~61%
2016 Annual Savings Rate: ~53%
================================================== ======

2016 Goals & Results

Annual Combined Income: $190,000 - Beat by $15,000
Annual Expenses: $73,300 - Beat by $1,585
Annual Savings: $60,000 - Beat by $21,560
Annual Savings Rate: 45% - Beat by 8%
Net Worth: $575,000 - Beat by $82,100

$41,500 401k (including Company Matches) - DONE - $44,041.67
$0 Brokerage - (Big Change - Focusing on minimizing tax burden first. Excess money will filter to this account) - DONE - $1,350
$6,400 House Principal Payoff - DONE - $7,968.31
$9,500 Reinvested Dividends - DONE - $13,981.47
$5,500 Roth - DONE - $5,500
$3,600 IRA - DONE - $900 (Shifted to Roth)
$1,900 Roth - DONE - $4,600
$6,850 HSA - DONE - $6,850______________
$75,250 TOTAL - DONE - $85,091.13

I naturally feel incredible about these goals, not having missed a single one.
================================================== ======

2017 Notes & Goals

2017 is going to be interesting. After a few years of discussion and careful planning, my wife will be leaving her job in September. Once my son enters Pre-K in late August, he follows the county school schedule, so he'll have lots of breaks, holidays, etc. With my travel schedule, it just isn't feasible to expect my wife to hold down a FT job and work around all the breaks, doctors appointments, etc. I'm nervous about the loss of income, but Pre-K is state-funded, and my daughter will only go a couple times a month, so that expense will drop significantly, so that neutralizes it a bit. More importantly, it gives my wife the opportunity to care for the kids to the absolute best of her ability, and she's excited. It also gives me the opportunity to be even more flexible and agreeable in my career, and who knows what the future holds. We have a really strong financial base, and I feel good about it. That being said, I am expecting lower income and somewhat lower expenses in 2017:

Annual Combined Income: $180,000
Annual Expenses: $66,000
Annual Savings: $63,900
Annual Savings Rate: 49%
Net Worth: $750,000

$44,000 401k (including Company Matches)
$6,200 House Principal Payoff
$12,000 Reinvested Dividends
$11,000 Roth (Combined)
$6,800 HSA__________________________
$80,000 TOTAL

Here's to 2017! Thanks for following along.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like it was solid 2016 for you !!! Congrats!
I am also tracking our progress quarterly in topic "Plan for Exit 2024" , we are slightly ahead but much older too, so time is on your side here. Pretty sure you will be able to FIRE by my age if you keep your focus on prize
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #48

Nice work! Keep it up and you'll achieve your goals easily.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Q1 is in the books, and we're doing pretty well. Here's we stand against our goals:

INCOME & SPENDING
Tracking at $185,000

Tracking at $69,300

Tracking at $76,000

Tracking at 52%

Currently $705,000

GOALS
ON TRACK

ON TRACK

Tracking at $12,800

$11,000 Roth (Combined)
ON TRACK - May be fulfilled in Q2

$6,800 HSA
ON TRACK
__________________________________________________ __
$80,000 TOTAL
ON TRACK

If we can reign in the spending just a little bit, we're on target to hit all of our 2017 goals. To increase those odds, my wife is considering working just a little bit longer. My son doesn't start Kindergarten at the elementary school until next August, and she is really enjoying her work while the kids are really enjoying daycare, so she is tentatively circling next May or August. Obviously, this is still flexible, but it would send all of our original goals through the roof.

On a more personal note, and one that doesn't necessarily tie directly to money and retirement, my parents visited this weekend. Saturday was a beautiful and sunny day, so we all spent a few hours in the backyard playing with various toys and outdoor games. When we were cleaning up, my Dad mentioned that this was the life he always hoped I'd have... great wife, great kids, safe and comfortable lifestyle. It caught me a little off guard, but it made me stop and consider that we really have made a lot of the right moves and are (I hope) doing what's best for everyone. Finding that money/family/happiness balance is tough, so it's nice to have an outside observer applauding your results.

I look forward to more updates through the year. Thanks for following!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for update , Staples ! Looks like very strong Q1 for you, especially in net worth growth. Do I read it correctly that you are currently at $705k, up about $48k just in Q1 ? If yes, your goal of $750k by end of 2017 seems very low, playing safe here? Or is it suppose to include impact of going to one income?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 2024 View Post
Thanks for update , Staples ! Looks like very strong Q1 for you, especially in net worth growth. Do I read it correctly that you are currently at $705k, up about $48k just in Q1 ? If yes, your goal of $750k by end of 2017 seems very low, playing safe here? Or is it suppose to include impact of going to one income?
You're right. I think I went very conservative and certainly underestimated the "Trump bump." I checked against today's numbers, and the investment net gain was a little over $48K/6.5% ($21K contributions, $5K employer matches and $22K organic growth/dividends). Q1 is a bit unique for us, as I receive my annual bonus and my wife receives her previous year 401k match as a lump sum, but I think an adjustment is needed. I see ~$26K left of contributions this year, so a 0% return would still bump me over $730K. I'm going to go big and raise the number to $800K.

Thanks for giving me that push, Exit 2024.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

$800k sounds like a solid target, go for it, Staples!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I missed a Q2 update, so I'll just jump right to where we stand as of the end of Q3. There have been a lot of changes the past 6 months, so I'll explain in detail after the numbers.

INCOME & SPENDING
End Q1 Tracking at $185,000
End Q3 Tracking at $209,000

End Q1 Tracking at $69,300
End Q3 Tracking at $74,600

End Q1 Tracking at $76,000
End Q3 Tracking at $90,900

End Q1 Tracking at 52%
End Q3 Tracking at 54%

End Q1 $705,000
End Q3 $811,300

GOALS
ON TRACK

OFF TRACK - $5,200

End Q1 Tracking at $12,800
End Q2 Tracking at $13,300

$11,000 Roth (Combined)
DONE

$6,800 HSA
ON TRACK
__________________________________________________ __
$80,000 TOTAL
ON TRACK - $88,000

The biggest news coming out of Q3 is that my wife has opted to continue working until next July. This represents the increase in our projected income, and it also represents the increase in projected expenses. Daycare will continue a big longer, and I may have had to sweeten the pot for her with an extra vacation .

My son is turning 5 in December, and it feels like a big milestone, so we're surprising him with a trip to Disney World around Thanksgiving. He gets the whole week off from Pre-K, so we're heading down the Friday before, returning on Thanksgiving Day. We aren't going to tell him until the morning of, and he's going to flip.

The other part here that won't necessarily add to "expenses," (as it's captured in the modified mortgage), is that we're adding on to our home. Our back deck has always been useless, and it doesn't have stairs down to the backyard. We've opted to add a covered screened in porch and stairs, along with a poured concrete patio below, with construction set to begin in about 2 weeks. After running some numbers, we opted to refinance our home to access some of the equity. We maintained a 75% LTV on the property, and we actually took out a good bit more than we needed. I figured if I'm going to pay the (pretty reasonable) fees to refinance, I might as well capture a good amount of liquid equity while I'm at it. With this money, I sent in a final balloon payment for our SUV, just to get it off the books, and I started a thread last week regarding the possible payoff of our rental property. I'm still on the fence about how to proceed with that, but I do like the idea of improving cash flow when my wife leaves her job.

The craziest part here is that we achieved the end of Q1 modified NW target of $800K 3 months ahead of schedule. I'm not sure how long we'll see this kind of run in the market, but I feel compelled to push the new target to $825K, and I'll hope for the best.

Looking forward to a strong end to 2017!
29 (now 32) - Long Way to Go, But Digging In
Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

29 (now 32) - Long Way to Go, But Digging In

Congrats on the progress and reaching your NW goal ahead of schedule.

Other than the vacation, what keeps your DW working rather than pulling the trigger to be a SAHM?
Legally_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legally_dead View Post
Congrats on the progress and reaching your NW goal ahead of schedule.

Other than the vacation, what keeps your DW working rather than pulling the trigger to be a SAHM?
Thanks for the reply.

Admittedly, my comment was a little bit tongue in cheek. I'm fortunate enough to have a partner that agrees with our goals of early retirement, so she appreciates her ability to contribute to the pot a little longer. However, family comes first, and when we first discussed her staying home, it was significantly driven by that fact that she felt that she was starting to slip in being the best mom possible.

At that time, she was under a different management structure in a relatively toxic office environment, and her flexibility was limited. I travel every other week, so when I was away, she had to rush in the morning, get ready for work, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, rush to the office, work X hours, then rush to school to get them, prepare dinner, bathe them, get them to bed, etc. It was stressful on her, and it was stressful on the kids.

Now, she works almost exclusively from home. That alone has created a tremendous change in her attitude and ability to be the mom she wants to be, especially when I'm on the road every other week. She's able to focus on getting them fed and on their way in the morning, returns home and knocks out her work, usually gets to the gym at lunch and often prepares dinner before going to get the kids. Equally important, she's spared from most of the negativity and drama associated with the office.

We still see Kindergarten as a big jump in terms of how our days and weeks will be structured, so that's the new target. Things are going very well, for now, so we'll see what happens over the next few months.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Great progress , Staples!!! can you believe that your original target for 2017 was $750k in NW? I think $825k is doable if market will sustain. Looking forward to your end of the year report and targets for 2018
Old 01-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Another year in the books, with a wild finish. Let's hit the numbers first, and then get on to a range of personal and career news.

Here's how the end of 2017 looked, when compared with the end of 2016:

================================================== ============

$205,000 Annual Combined Income - $218,600

$80,000 Roth - $90,100
$77,000 Taxable Brokerage - $83,500
$46,000 Rollover IRA - $52,900
$169,500 401k (Combined) - $255,700
$31,200 IRA/Roth IRA (College Savings) - $43,500
$21,000 Cash/HSA - $182,300

Primary Residence: $201,600 Debt ($218,400 Equity) - SOLD - $23,000 Equity in New Home
Rental Property: $135,600 Debt ($14,000 Equity) - $99,000 Debt ($51,000 Equity)

NET WORTH END 2014: ~$354,100
NET WORTH END 2015: ~$489,300
NET WORTH END 2016: ~$657,100
NET WORTH END 2017: ~$805,000

2014 Annual Expenses: $57,600
2015 Annual Expenses: $57,300
2016 Annual Expenses: $71,715
2017 Annual Expenses: $76,690

2014 Annual Savings: $71,850
2015 Annual Savings: $90,120
2016 Annual Savings: $81,560
2017 Annual Savings: $98,830

2014 Annual Savings Rate: ~55%
2015 Annual Savings Rate: ~61%
2016 Annual Savings Rate: ~53%
2017 Annual Savings Rate: ~56%

2017 Goals & Results

Annual Combined Income: $180,000 - Beat by $38,000
Annual Expenses: $66,000 - Missed by $10,690
Annual Savings: $63,900 - Beat by $34,930
Annual Savings Rate: 49% - Beat by 7%
Net Worth: $750,000 (Modified to $825,000) - Missed modified by $20,000

$44,000 401k (including Company Matches) - DONE - $44,362.12
$6,400 House Principal Payoff - DONE - SOLD + $6,287.77 Rental Principal
$12,000 Reinvested Dividends - DONE - $20,158.50
$11,000 Roth (Combined) - DONE - $11,000
$6,800 HSA - DONE - $6,850
$80,000 TOTAL - DONE - $88,658.39 (Excluding Sold Home)

I feel great about these goals, having only missed two, both for very good personal and financial reasons.

2017 Recap & Notes
So, as you can see in the numbers section, we sold our primary home. It feels pretty weird to type that, as in my Q3 update, I was waxing poetic about how we recently refinanced and were adding a major patio/deck extension. Thankfully, we had NOT ripped out the old deck when my wife was re-approached by a company she interviewed with earlier this year. They offered her a position that effectively amounts to her dream job, along with a nearly 50% raise, with one caveat: relocation. Fortunately, the location is part of the dream, and we accepted the position.

So, in a span of 6 weeks, we accepted a new job, researched housing and schools online, did a blitz of a local house search, signed a contract on a new house, listed our existing home, went on a week long vacation, sold our home while on vacation, sold the majority of our furniture, found a short term rental, packed up the rest of our stuff and moved. (Oh, and my car was hit and totaled two weeks before the move, but that managed to just be a blip on the overall radar, especially since no one was injured.)

The whole thing was a whirlwind, but we have already settled in nicely, my kids are very happy in their new daycare program and we really feel great about the change.

Our net worth definitely took a hit with some of the costs associated with selling the old house and unexpectedly purchasing a new (CPO) vehicle, and we'll have more of those costs with buying and setting up our new house. However, with my wife now planning to work for years to come, a major salary bump, and living in a place with no state income tax, the net worth should recover at a fairly brisk pace.

2018 Notes & Goals
2018 should be fun. We'll spend the majority of the year settling in to our new location, and we're expecting to move in to our new "forever home" in the June/July time frame. My son will start Kindergarten in August, and we have a cruise planned for November.

So, unless we have another dramatic shift somewhere in 2018, I'm expecting an increase across the board. Income is going up, expenses will increase with the new house and continued daycare, but the overall savings rate should still hover around 50%. For net worth, I'm still curious when we'll have a market correction, so I'm playing it safe but will reevaluate mid-year.

Annual Combined Income: $225,000
Annual Expenses: $90,400
Annual Savings: $91,400
Net Worth: $900,000

$39,700 401k (including Company Matches - No match at the new company, yet)
$2,300 House Principal Payoff
$4,300 Rental Principal Payoff
$13,500 Reinvested Dividends
$11,000 Roth (Combined)
$3,400 HSA__________________________
$74,200 TOTAL

Here's to 2018! Thanks for following along.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #58

nice progress!
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love watching progress year over year! Thank you for the update. A couple of large jumps in the last couple of years and you're only going for $100K in 2018? Push yourself, I think you can hit $140K, depending on the market.
nerdyJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for update, Staples!
Looks like you had blockbuster year - so many changes and you made it through with excellent results
I also think your target for 2018 of less than $100k is very conservative but understand that you are planning for some expenses to get settled in the new house.
Looking forward to your 2018 updates