Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My uncle who lives in England became disabled after a serious motorcycle accident when he was in his 20's,he's been collecting a good disability pension ever since,he's 60 now.
And would he have retained it if he emigrated to another country like the OP I wonder?

My sister suffered brain damage 10 years ago aged 28 and was on disability until last year once the doc said that the anti-seizure drugs were keeping her under control. She went back to work last Fall. While her disability was enough to live on it was only comparable to what she earns now, $14/hr for 20 hrs/week. However she is very much hopeful that she will be able to increase her hours and improve her hourly rate with promotions.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

That means in the US only public employees get disability pension if they are injured? And the private employess only get cheap SSID and no real pension? That's unfair.

so long
patrick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick01 View Post
That means in the US only public employees get disability pension if they are injured? And the private employess only get cheap SSID and no real pension? That's unfair.

so long
Hey, welcome to reality. But our public workers deserve it, as they are "civil servants" whereas most of us are merely employees.

Ha
Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick01 View Post
Well, that's why it's called disabilitiy pension. Most upper-income workers have private disability insurance to cover that risk since government disability is not usually generous.

I'd be careful about making judgments as to fairness given the fact that you are receiving a full pension from the gov at age 29. A few hard-working folks might question just how "fair" that is from the other side of the fence.

But from your perspective, sounds like things worked out very favorably.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

So, Patrick01, why India or SEA? Cost of living is lower over in SEA or India but 800 Euro monthly is not enough. I see a lot of British and Americans over in SEA giving part time language lessons (mostly English) and getting paid a lot for it. You may wish to spend a few months travelling first and have a feel which country you want to settle in for studies. I know a number of western friends who chose to live in China for a few years and enrolled in universities there to study chinese language.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote