Join Early Retirement Today

2BRetired for 5 years
Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

2BRetired for 5 years

Hi All,
I retired early (not as early as I would have liked) but at 59. The only reason I waited that long was I was close to getting my full pension with medical at 60 if I got the hours and years. I had a fun job in the entertainment business and so a few more years was my option. Lucky I got the medical because soon after I retired I became very sick and after many miss diagnosis they found I had a restrictive pericardium (the sack around the heart) which had to be removed. I was lucky as my medical insurance covered everything. Since then I have been getting back in shape and learning to generate an income from my savings as a buffer to my pension.
I decide to to join this forum to get ideas on retirement investing and possibly help those on the fence to retire before it is to late.
2BRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. It's great that you got a good diagnosis finally and are enjoying ER .
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks, the scary thing I was in good shape before it happened, they had no idea what caused it. Apparently they had not seen this for many years due to TB which I did not have. At least my case got into a medical journal and I have the photo's of my heart.
2BRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

welcome 2BRetired. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome and thanks. I am not retired yet, but I do come to this forum for encouragement advice and to learn about FIRE topics. Any experiences and potential pitfalls that you want to share... I'm all ears.
Regards, WB
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard! But there's no way you could talk me off the fence due to probability of an unknown medical issue. I am well aware that many people have an illness or other event in the family/self that impacts their retirement, and I am truly sorry to hear you had that experience, but it's still statistically a minority. Anyone who retires with NO indication of a medical or other life changing event, will have made a mistake more often than not. Guess that's just how a lifelong engineer is programmed. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum, glad you are recovering and enjoying ER. I hope to be there one day.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote