Join Early Retirement Today

2ND Chances
Old 07-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2ND Chances

Hi all, a little bit about myself. NYC born & bred, Univ/Wall St/Married/Rich/Broke/Entrepeneur/Rich/divorced/broke again/real estate(pre bubble)/Cashed out in 2004 and I retired to the lovely Miraflores (Lima,Peru) about 6 years ago (currently 55). After a few years of living life like a young boy in a candy store, I settled down with a beautiful "Charapita" and have never looked back!

Unfortunately, I do need to return to the "States" from time to time, but after a few days, i find myself anxious to return to "my new reality".

When I find the appropriate thread, I will be happy to post my experiences their.

suerte,
NYE
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Holy smokes the adjectives about you are a mouthful! Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the "welcome"! I have always lived "on the edge" so to speak and may not fit in to an "mainstream" forum. But I did retire before "50" Live overseas and have a wonderful life.... Soooo, hopefully i can contribute something of value to the forum(Just do not ask how I did it as my life was very fast paced and now with my advanced years, appears somewhat blurred in the rear view mirror)!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, NY ex-pat. So are you saying this is the slooowed down version of yourself? j/k
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Que Suerta y Bienvenidos!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Que Suerta y Bienvenidos!

Welcome, and the DW and I will be visiting soon. I just need to practise up on my Spanish.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Welcome, NY ex-pat. So are you saying this is the slooowed down version of yourself? j/k
I guess you could say that . I live on a cliff (300 ft above the Pacific)with my Wife(27),Son(4),Twin cunedas(sisters in law)(19 y/o nursing students) my mother in law(same age as me), my father in law(5 years younger)more often than not, my 5 y/o shar-pei and a host of other characters who show up (generally mealtime).

Doug,
I have lived here for 6 years and barely speak a word(It is so bad my four year old is taking english lessons, so I can figure out what he keeps asking me for!

You and anybody else that is coming to visit feel free to ask any questions or drop by for a drink when in town!

suerte todo!
NYE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LA HERRADURA (2).jpg (5.5 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg miraflores-coastline.jpg (51.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Miraflores.jpg (44.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg restaurant-miraflores.jpg (42.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, gorgeous scenery! What's the cost of living in Peru like, compared to North America/Europe?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome , My sister is a Nun who's order has convents in Peru and she says it is just gorgeous .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
Wow, gorgeous scenery! What's the cost of living in Peru like, compared to North America/Europe?
All these pictures (except the last) were taken outside my front door! The last one is a few miles further down the coast (known as La Herradura).

It is probably about 1/3 of SoCal for most things, others are equal or 20% more(most all imports).

I live 50ft from the cliffs in Miraflores in a 3/2 of 900sq mtr for $350.00 mth.
A 1200sf apartment in an Oceanfront tower that sold for $120k 3 years ago is now about $250K (taxes are $500.00 a year and mantainence $1200 a year).

Prices have doubled in the last two years or so, and are not expected to go much higher.

I think 2k-3k/mth is a fair number for a single person, If you own a house or apartment or rent a small flat.

Most gringos own cars (to travel to beach or country houses)but it is a luxury and not necessary as you can travel across the city in a taxi for $3-4.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Welcome , My sister is a Nun who's order has convents in Peru and she says it is just gorgeous .
It truly is. Peru is one of the largest countries in the world and has the most biodiversity on the planet.

That being said I live in one of the largest coastal deserts in the world. As you drive south or north of Lima, You look one way and you see beautiful sand dunes leading to the pacific, look the other way and you think you are on the moon. The High Jungles with the cloud forests or maybe the sacred valley near Machu Picchu is far prettier in my opinion.

Lima is not a beautiful city (by a long shot) but parts of it are certainly beautiful.
suerte,
NYE
Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome! I have always wanted to retire and move to Central or South America. Peru is on my list to visit for sure. Thanks for sharing your pictures and tidbits of your life. Sounds wonderful!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am happy for the forum members who have moved to very low-cost-of-living countries and seem to be having a wonderful time, but how come they are always men?

Do we have any single, female, ER "expats" who have moved to the southern hemisphere, or some very low-cost country, to live?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Do we have any single, female, ER "expats" who have moved to the southern hemisphere, or some very low-cost country, to live?
I think women in the U.S. and Canada have advantages that they would not have in many of the lower cost third world countries. We are so lucky to live where we do. Maybe this is why single female ER expatriates residing alone in these countries seem to be so unusual.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
I am happy for the forum members who have moved to very low-cost-of-living countries and seem to be having a wonderful time, but how come they are always men?

I think it has to do with size (only 7,000)and general theme (retirement planning) of the forum. In Peru we have an expat forum with a high percentage of female posters.

With respect to "low cost" Major cities in SA are lower cost than comparable cities stateside, but are generally more expensive than "retirement locations" stateside.

However, once you go to rural areas that lack basic infrastructure, living cheaply can be achieved.

These areas are not attractive to the AW, but can have a major appeal to the single male retiree on a small budget. Besides the low cost, you also have the ability to find a beautiful young wife and even start a first or second family.

Living in city (although more costly) gives me access to everything NYC offered me with the advantages of low cost (high quality) medical,dental care, a more attractive climate, better cuisine (top 3 in the world),a younger population(avg age 23) and 3-4 women to every man!

If you need an income down here,want to open a business, enjoy golf then this is obviously not the place for you. On the other hand if you enjoy Surfing, Parasailing , Eating well and chasing women Peru has few peers!

I have seen the term "third world" appear several times in the forums and wonder why a outdated "political term" is so often misused.

For those who do not know:
First World= Any country that is an ally of the United States.
Second World= Any country that is an ally of the former Soviet Union.
Third World= all the rest.

More appropriate would be to use economic terms such as: Developed,Developing,Underdeveloped

Under this scheme most countries in LAM would be considered "developing".
Peru and Panama are both countries that managed to escape the "Financial Crisis" to date.

In 2009 Peru's growth managed to eclipse Panama but nonetheless has dropped from 9.2 to 3%.

Prior to the Financial crisis Peru was scheduled to reach developed nation status in 2017.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Asked...
Quote:
...and answered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
IOn the other hand if you enjoy Surfing, Parasailing , Eating well and chasing women Peru has few peers!
Next question.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, no kidding, REWahoo! In addition, were I a single woman who was interested in finding a man I would not be going somewhere where there are

Quote:
and 3-4 women to every man!
And a happily married woman is probably not interested in exposing her DH to what seem like very willing young single women from what some posters have said about some of these countries.

But a single woman who is happy without a male companion might find the areas interesting.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Yeah, no kidding, REWahoo! In addition, were I a single woman who was interested in finding a man I would not be going somewhere where there are

And a happily married woman is probably not interested in exposing her DH to what seem like very willing young single women from what some posters have said about some of these countries.

But a single woman who is happy without a male companion might find the areas interesting.
I don't think she would lack for male companionship at all. She just might need to understand that like the older US man, she is buying it.

There is a US subculture built around salsa dancing and Cuba. The Anglo women are typically professionals, maybe late 30s early 40s. Some of these are very drawn to young good dancers from Cuba, etc. These guys haven't had their minds warped by years of training about how to suitably de-sexualize their relations with women. So these typically feminist US women may get the itch to be treated like sex objects by Latin machos. Since they can usually find some way to get to Cuba, and even in some cases to bring back their catch, their money and power is very attractive to a young guy who may be lucky to score a bean or two every few days for his breakfast. I don't think these women mind the control and power that this situation gives them either, although there is certainly plenty opportunity for pain to arrive sooner or later.

For me, I love watching the anthropology and irony involved here.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #18

NYExpat re prostitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I don't think she would lack for male companionship at all. She just might need to understand that like the older US man, she is buying it. Like my brother says, if you want bought sex, why travel, just go to Craig's List.
While many tourists are interested in "prostitution", The "bulk" not all retirees are more interested in a long term relationship/Marriage/Children or some combination. I have a women (lesbian) friend from Spain (50's) who switched teams and married a younger Peruvian man with 5 children and has found the "nurturing mother" role to be quite fulfilling.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

When I went to Ixtapa Mexico for my honeymoon, a bunch of us went out to a nightclub. My newly minted DW and a couple other wives got tired and left early. We men decided to party on a while longer. Before the door even closed there were several very pretty senoritas perched close to us. Almost like it was staged.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

[quote=haha;834988]

Hmm, I was not just thinking of male-female relations. I just wondered if things would be better, or worse, for the single, older woman in one of the many beautiful, if lesser-developed, nations. Our U.S. culture is not as respectful or friendly as it could be to ladies over 50, has been my observation. Then again, maybe it is better here than it would be elsewhere.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote