Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlimoges View Post
Out of the rental expense model TIMMUR fortunately I only pay for taxes and insurance as the tenant buyer does the rest (finding wood again).
- Taxes
- Insurance
- Management
- Maintanence
- Utilities
- Repairs
Are you sure you trust your tenants with those things? I'm not the kind of person who is going to drive a rental car into the ground, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to maintain something I'm just using temporarily. Though I admit I'm not up to speed on the whole rent-to-own thing... how likely are the 11 tenants to purchase the properties they are renting from you right now?
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
Are you sure you trust your tenants with those things? I'm not the kind of person who is going to drive a rental car into the ground, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to maintain something I'm just using temporarily.
You are wasting your time. OP is a true believer.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpRyder View Post
All of ours, except 1, are MTM or 1 yr leases which shifts to MTM. That one is a bi-weekly. He's the one I've had to call & email. Evidently he's living paycheck to paycheck and somewhere along the line he'll leave. I do all the management, pay taxes and pay all expenses except utilities and tenant caused maintenance & repairs. I use to do RTO, but after talking with two real estate attorneys found evicting a RTO in Ca is very time consuming and expensive. That, fortunately, was after an RTO left. So I don't do RTO now, not worth the 1yr + attorney + court fees to get an RTO off title claim and out.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you have a tried and true system that works for you!
srlimoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Are all of the properties in the same location? I think most would laugh at the suggestion that Denver might go the way of Detroit... but then again, people in Detroit would have laughed at the same thing a quarter century ago. Your Michigan counter part might have found themselves with well over $1,000,000 in debt and properties worth a few thousand a piece.

just something to think about.

In theory, what you are doing is a great way to make a lot of money... but the risks are there. I'm sure you're well aware of them.
They are all in Denver metro.

That word of caution seems to be written by someone with market and geographic cycle experience. priceless advice.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #145

Quote:
Are all of the properties in the same location? I think most would laugh at the suggestion that Denver might go the way of Detroit... but then again, people in Detroit would have laughed at the same thing a quarter century ago. Your Michigan counter part might have found themselves with well over $1,000,000 in debt and properties worth a few thousand a piece.

just something to think about.

In theory, what you are doing is a great way to make a lot of money... but the risks are there. I'm sure you're well aware of them.

From Detroit area, and no, I certainly would laugh at the idea of Denver ever quickly becoming like Detroit, or any city really. Detroit's downward spiral has occurred over not just one or two decades, but for over FIVE decades. Look-up the 1967 Detroit riots, this was actually near the end of the white flight movement which began in the 1950's, which was the real beginning of the end. Watching Detroit's problems grow was like watching someone stand there waiting to get run over by a 10,000 ton train that started off a mile away and came towards them at an inch/hour.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Are you sure you trust your tenants with those things? I'm not the kind of person who is going to drive a rental car into the ground, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to maintain something I'm just using temporarily. Though I admit I'm not up to speed on the whole rent-to-own thing... how likely are the 11 tenants to purchase the properties they are renting from you right now?
I've only been doing this for 4 years so my experience isn't comprehensive but so far the only property to end the three year rent to own term has sold. There's lots of data out there about rent to own, especially on real estate sites like biggerpockets, but the typical conversion rate is 33%.

The tenants pay an upfront option fee that seems to, so far, encourage them to take care of the property along with the hope that they will someday own their own home. Will there ever be a time where I will need to step in? ...that day is coming I'm sure
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
From Detroit area, and no, I certainly would laugh at the idea of Denver ever quickly becoming like Detroit, or any city really. Detroit's downward spiral has occurred over not just one or two decades, but for over FIVE decades. Look-up the 1967 Detroit riots, this was actually near the end of the white flight movement which began in the 1950's, which was the real beginning of the end. Watching Detroit's problems grow was like watching someone stand there waiting to get run over by a 10,000 ton train that started off a mile away and came towards them at an inch/hour.

LOL.

Well, several decades ago a nuclear energy plant in golden, called rocky mountain flats, was shut down due to radioactive exposure being measured in Denver. Did the exposure come from rocky mountain flats? Probably. Could it have been worst, yeah, probably... Not sure how the local real estate market would have reacted though
Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Hey!

Thanks for following up! So an update to my financial situation... in September 2012 I was laid off as a software engineer at the medical devise company I worked for 5 years unfortunately. That income was about 72,000 per year and with my wife's income and investment properties we did okay for the Colorado area. Now fortunately I have the rental properties (all leased as rent to own) and they are currently cash flowing $5,300 per month. They were a third income stream while we were both employed, and we reinvested the cashflow to buy more properties, but now we will use some of that income to live from.

Being forced to leave my job may have been one of the best mixed blessing in my life to date. I'm currently starting a wholesale real estate business that will feed deals to the rent to own side, and I'm working hard at this new business but really enjoy the freedom to self direct my efforts! I can really choose where I want to focus my time and greatly appreciate that gift!

Of our 11 rent to own properties our current net worth is about 800,000.

I don't plan on ever working at a j.o.b. again but I know life is subject to change

And one thing I've learned to say more is 'I love my life!'
Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

Your welcome! Thanks for asking.

You guys have been positive and that's been inspiring to me. I appreciate you guys!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #151

Quote:
Hey!

... in September 2012 I was laid off ... Now fortunately I have the rental properties (all leased as rent to own) and they are currently cash flowing $5,300 per month. They were a third income stream while we were both employed, and we reinvested the cashflow to buy more properties, but now we will use some of that income to live from.
Congratulations on becoming partly (mostly? fully?) FI to be able to weather that circumstance. How many people in the last few years were laid off and were one paycheck away from not being able to pay their bills when it happened?

Despite how some may not have liked the way you presented yourself, I say congratulations for being so well prepared financially for that layoff.

Best of luck with your new job (wholesaling).
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Arebelspy. I appreciate it.

Arebelspy brings up a great point and I want to apologize if offended or discouraged anyone with anything I said. The fact is is that anyone can do anything they strive to do if they make the choice to commit to it.

On positive note I'm greatful for everyone's support on this forum. It will help fuel the energy needed to make this wholesaling business successful and later down the road passive.