Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

32 in love with my 2 girls (DW & DD) and want to spend more time with them

Hi All.

Brief Stats:
  • 32yo male with DW and DD
  • Work in an academic medical center
  • Wage cage = $42k per year
  • Pretty disciplined saver (50% net -> 457(b))
  • $165k net worth ($50k VMMXX, $87k Cash, $28k Wellington 457(b))
  • Simple life (no mortgage, old car, walk to work, minimal drama, etc.)
I'm hoping to semi-retire within the next two years to spend more time with DW and DD. As interesting as work is, it's not worth missing so much of the little one's early life. When she's in late elementary or middle school (6 months old now) I plan on moving back up to full-time. I don't mind spending a few extra years in the cage later on if I get to be with DD now.

Interested in hearing about anyone else who has slowed down mid-career for awhile.

Best.

Ahab
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
gone traveling

I'm 32 myself, with a 15mo old boy. We managed to keep the boy out of daycare and spend more time with him because our employers were super flexible. My wife is only working 60% (some from home), and I'm only working Mon-Thurs. I get to watch the little guy on Friday when my wife goes to work. Very recently, I cut my hours (because I can) to 36, so that I could be home earlier (the little guys bed time creeps in early!).

I would highly highly recommend doing some sort of flexible schedule if you employer allows it. Especially cutting your hours a little. Like you, we're pretty disciplined savers (though, we're in a High COL area, and thus spend a little more), so cutting my hours was a no brainer. Money isn't everything.

Enjoy your girls
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the forum. I'm the oddball here, because I really love my job. But I will tell you some of my experiences. Not mid-career, but pre-career.

I'm 52 now, but 30 years ago when I got out of the Navy, I spent about five years in semi-retirement. My family owned several houses, so rent wasn't a concern. My only expenses were a small electric bill, car insurance, food and cloths. I maintained the grounds and fields for a neighbor with a big yard and small farm. I worked early in the day and spent the remaining hours on the Chipola River or at some other swimming hole. I also helped around my father's farm enough to be able to raid the freezer from time to time.

Of course I was single, and had no one but myself to worry about. But those years taught me how to live with little or no money. And all that idle time taught me the importance of having something to do. Laying around in the sun drinking beer everyday can be depressing. It got old by the time I started working at a real job.

So if you want to spend more time with your girls, see if you can cut back your hours. You only live once, so enjoy it while you can.