Join Early Retirement Today

32yrs and counting!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

32yrs and counting!

Hiya!

I just wanted to stop by and give a little introduction. I'm a 32 single male living in Columbus, OH. I just moved back to the area Cbus after living in Washington DC for 8 + yrs, so I'm just getting reacquainted to the area.

I'm fortunate to have a gotten a head start in the saving for retirement/financial freedom game. I've been able to scrape together 200-300k in savings, between retirement accounts and taxable accounts, but I always feel like I need to save more (that's my conservative upbringing at work!). My goals are pretty simple, as long as I love what I'm doing, I’ll just keep plugging away at it, but I want to be in control of my life. If I find I'm not happy doing what I am doing, I want to have the ability to step away and find something else. That’s what drives me to keep socking away a little here and a little the there.

My “Story”:
I guess I should start with my roots. I come from a fairly conservative (fiscally) family. They always taught me the value of saving now for future goals. My parents could have retired at 50, but my father loves what he does, and can't imagine ever retiring. They lived well below their means, but by no means did deprive themselves. I started saving as soon as I had a job. As I've gone about my life, I have tried to pass on the little insights and tricks I learned from my family to others. This eventually led me to my current career path - Financial Advising (I did study finance in college). I started out helping friends pick some funds for their 401k/403b's or their IRA's, and ended up getting licensed and working with school teachers and family/friends. I've always been interested hearing other people's "Story", and I think everyone has something in their story that we can learn from and apply to our own lives.

So that is how I came to this site. I've poked around the different forums and find there to be some real interesting discussions and ideas going on here. Hopefully I can add a nugget here and there that someone may actually find useful/interesting.

Cheers!
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nugget away! Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks!
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Batz. I look forward to reading some of your tips. Most of the people on here are big savers so you'll fit right in

I've only been to Columbus twice but Donatos Pizza, Greaters ice cream and OSU football is almost reason enough to move there!
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum
I loved reading your into. You have a lot going for you in all the right directions.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batz View Post
My parents could have retired at 50, but my father loves what he does, and can't imagine ever retiring.
As much as I always talk about how much I want to be able to retire, in reality there are few I envy as much as those who truly love their work and continue to do so because they want to and not because they have to.

I'd love to find a gig like that later in life when I'm a little more FI.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote