33, Pregnant, and Getting Close to ER

At the risk of just plain piling on, completely agree that kids are just plain expensive. I didn't add it up, but wouldn't surprise me at all if it added up to $250K (worth every penny, even if that is what it cost).

Clothes, activities, an old used car for when they turn 16, CAR INSURANCE, kid gets in a wreck because they are 16 and that's what they do, food, going out to eat, vacations, school related expenses, stuff you could never have though of, etc. I even remember when they got out of diapers thinking "holy crap, I just got a pay increase." If your son or daughter wants to play select sports, it's not just the dues, it's uniforms, traveling to play tournaments, etc. Yeah, you can certainly tell them "no," but it's not easy when they are excelling at a sport and want to step to the next level.

So, for us, there are probably a few months where it only cost $250, but I'd bet those were the rare exception.

Any insight on what's driving the heating and cooling cost reductions when kids leave the house? "Close the damn door!" is standard practice at your houses, right?

We have indoor cats, so certainly. Actually, I don't think it is one thing. Certainly my son's room doesn't have its light turned on very often since he is at college. But, it is more than that. The washing machine/dryer are used less often. The dishwasher is used less often. The refrigerator door is opened less often. His computer isn't plugged in. He isn't playing video games and so on. Kids do things like laundry, run the microwave, watch TV, play video games, use the computer and they do more of it as they get older.

In our case, part of it is that we were able to actually move to a smaller house after our oldest departed. So there was a huge reduction because we moved to a house that was a third smaller the first house. The new house was also newer and more energy efficient.

In your case, you may not get as much of a reduction as we did since it sounds like you don't like in an area with high AC usage and high heat. I'm in Texas and cooling costs are significant in any event.

The other important thing to keep in mind is that it's only a 18-22 year cost duration and not "forever" like other living expenses a 30-something retiree must budget for. And as for the much higher costs some say you experience once the kids enter the teen years, that's only 5 years (age 13-18) plus whatever you provide during college. I don't say that to minimize the reality of the burden, but rather to put it in the right context.

This is true, but I think not relevant to the OP's question which was dealing with the cost of raising a child and thinking it would only add $4800 a year. I agree it is not a forever cost -- indeed DH retiring when he did and me semi-retiring was based upon this being a time limited cost.

That said, while costs were certainly be higher during say the 12-18 years (plus college if you pay for those), that doesn't exclude the possibility of costs being higher at a younger age.

We had numerous things that came up before that age (there were not frivolous things, they were true needs). Not every year, but not predictable either.

It's almost better to budget the $400/mo like OP suggests, then add in a big fat lump sum to cover "high costs during teen years" and "college assistance" to the extent that is also in your plans.

Let's say high cost teen years add $10k/yr for 5 years (braces one year, some crazy med expense 1 year, new-ish car 1 year, insurance 2 years, plus misc stuff). All the OP needs to set aside is $25k if retiring around when the kid is born. Let that $ sit for 13 years at 5% real returns and you have the $50k at age 13. $25k represents 2% of the OP's current investment portfolio (minus the $200k house purchase). Not a big deal, but a slight bit more than rounding error.

The problem with the $400 a month is that the OP is basically saying that is the incremental cost per month in having a child over having no child at all. I don't think that is likely to be true. For direct costs, perhaps, but as mentioned there are lots of other costs people just don't include because they don't see them as child related costs (food, utilities, stuff for the house, gasoline, etc.).

So, I think $400 a month is way too low because it requires a degree of optimism that seems unlikely to be fulfilled.

If you think right now that $50k would be needed ($10k a year) for the adolescent years based upon today's costs, then you have to set aside $50k for it now. You can't set aside $25k because while it might grow to $50k in the time period, the $50k in expenses would also likely go up.

Not to mention, of course, that $50k for the period in question could be laughably low. For example, just auto insurance adds thousands in cost for us. And, since we are supporting our son during college, that extra isn't just for a year or two.

Our oldest is entering the double digits in under one month (which is hard to believe). We have yet to see any huge costs related to kids.

I really do, I get that. The point is mostly that I think you are (1) looking at the costs you can see and not how having kids increases your overhead and (2) not considering some of the larger costs as they get older. Hand me down clothes are fine for small children. Someone in high school is going to need more.

I know you mentioned in an earlier post that if you weren't doing X with the kids then maybe you would spend more on other things because you would be traveling. That is, of course, entirely possible. The difference is that most of the things you mentioned would have been discretionary expenses. Most of the expenses associated with kids aren't discretionary at all. Some are of course. But basically kids are a commitment. If the market is down and you want to spend less in a year it is easy to not go on that $5000 vacation. On the other hand, you can't just decide not to pay for your child's medical needs.

Any insight on what's driving the heating and cooling cost reductions when kids leave the house? "Close the damn door!" is standard practice at your houses, right?

Hey, maybe I'm in line for a nice fat cost under run on the heating/cooling budget line item once the kids start leaving the house in another 8 years... :)

The other important thing to keep in mind is that it's only a 18-22 year cost duration and not "forever" like other living expenses a 30-something retiree must budget for. And as for the much higher costs some say you experience once the kids enter the teen years, that's only 5 years (age 13-18) plus whatever you provide during college. I don't say that to minimize the reality of the burden, but rather to put it in the right context.

It's almost better to budget the $400/mo like OP suggests, then add in a big fat lump sum to cover "high costs during teen years" and "college assistance" to the extent that is also in your plans.

Let's say high cost teen years add $10k/yr for 5 years (braces one year, some crazy med expense 1 year, new-ish car 1 year, insurance 2 years, plus misc stuff). All the OP needs to set aside is $25k if retiring around when the kid is born. Let that $ sit for 13 years at 5% real returns and you have the $50k at age 13. $25k represents 2% of the OP's current investment portfolio (minus the $200k house purchase). Not a big deal, but a slight bit more than rounding error.

Our oldest is entering the double digits in under one month (which is hard to believe). We have yet to see any huge costs related to kids. Right now the oldest two are at a friend's house playing Rock Band. I spent $0.20 on gas to pick up another friend of theirs and drop them all off. I'll probably walk to retrieve them assuming sidewalks are ice-free by then. I'll spend another $0.30 on gas later tonight to drop them off at grandma's house.

I've always found that it's helpful, when debating a study, to read the actual study. It's interesting. The quick summary is that, even for low income families, $400/month/child is a fantasy. The minimum cost is about twice that.

Some concerns about the OP:
No pension
Not a lot of years in Social Security
Lots of years ahead of you
Possible ACA repeal or reduction, something to consider

I would not feel comfortable pulling the trigger in your situation.

Moneysaving tip for raising children: guide them into a sport in a facility that has showers. The water and energy to heat same savings are enormous.
Teenage boys are not taking those long showers to get clean.

Ha

The fall in Natural Gas prices from 2009 to 2014 was a huge bonus for us with four teens. Heating water, heating the house and cooking became less expensive by 70%. Hot water and heating costs were big. Electricity is mainly due to AC in the summer months and can really add up - there seems to be less concern about open doors and windows in the summer for some reason! CFL and LED bulbs have made it harder to have great credibility when complaining about lights left on.

I've always found that it's helpful, when debating a study, to read the actual study. It's interesting. The quick summary is that, even for low income families, $400/month/child is a fantasy. The minimum cost is about twice that.

Thanks for the link.

From the study, families with incomes under $61,000 spend $9,500 to $10,400 per year to raise a kid (depending on age). The bad news is you're right - that's way more than $400/month (roughly double).

The good news is:
-Those are averages - we can be better than average, right? How else do you save $1.x million by age 33? Amiright?
-The annual cost variation between an infant and a 17 year old is only about $1,000 per year. Assuming we trust this study, I'd like to introduce this study as evidence to refute everyone that suggested teenagers are more expensive than younger children (although I think you're right, the study disagrees).
-The ~$10k per year figure from the study includes $3,100 for housing and $2,200 for childcare in the younger years. Net those out and you get almost exactly $400/month.

OP, like many early retirees, plans on a paid off house with a separate line item for maintenance. The study you link includes mortgage principal and interest payments in the housing cost, so you can write off a lot of that $3,100. The taxes, insurance, maintenance etc on a slightly larger, slightly more expensive house will still be there, but it's not $3,100/yr (and maybe OP is handy).

I'd say you can get by without much spent on childcare as early retirees (= full time parents). In the later years - sure you'll have to pay a little here and there for school activity fees (we're up to $25/yr for our kids!). That study includes private school tuition payments in their average. Find a decent school district instead.

Economize a little here and there (LBYM and all that), take out most of the housing and most of the childcare/education expenses, and you end up with right around $400/month.

Cool study, bro. You can spend around $400/month as the OP budgeted (plus a paid off house, maintenance and upkeep on the house, plus health insurance premiums). Or you can spend $1000/mo. Or $10,000/mo. If you're FIRE'd and a good parent, your kid will probably turn out pretty swell.

OP hasn't checked in since Feb 17th, so maybe we scared her away.

The main reason for young kids sometimes being very expensive and comparable to teenagers is child care. In the OP's case though I would discount child care as a major cost.

But, I'm not here to debate that study or not. I just know what I've had to spend on my 3 kids who are all at least 18 now and how the costs changed over time (and it wasn't in a downward direction). And, unfortunately, we had some very high expenses due to some particular needs of our children (some medical and some not) that led to some exceptionally high expenses that I agree are atypical but can nonetheless happen.

Anyway, I think I've beaten this horse to death and unless the OP returns with questions I'll just leave it.

Thanks for the link.

From the study, families with incomes under $61,000 spend $9,500 to $10,400 per year to raise a kid (depending on age). The bad news is you're right - that's way more than $400/month (roughly double).

The good news is:
-Those are averages - we can be better than average, right? How else do you save $1.x million by age 33? Amiright?
-The annual cost variation between an infant and a 17 year old is only about $1,000 per year. Assuming we trust this study, I'd like to introduce this study as evidence to refute everyone that suggested teenagers are more expensive than younger children (although I think you're right, the study disagrees).
-The ~$10k per year figure from the study includes $3,100 for housing and $2,200 for childcare in the younger years. Net those out and you get almost exactly $400/month.

OP, like many early retirees, plans on a paid off house with a separate line item for maintenance. The study you link includes mortgage principal and interest payments in the housing cost, so you can write off a lot of that $3,100. The taxes, insurance, maintenance etc on a slightly larger, slightly more expensive house will still be there, but it's not $3,100/yr (and maybe OP is handy).

I'd say you can get by without much spent on childcare as early retirees (= full time parents). In the later years - sure you'll have to pay a little here and there for school activity fees (we're up to $25/yr for our kids!). That study includes private school tuition payments in their average. Find a decent school district instead.

Economize a little here and there (LBYM and all that), take out most of the housing and most of the childcare/education expenses, and you end up with right around $400/month.

Cool study, bro. You can spend around $400/month as the OP budgeted (plus a paid off house, maintenance and upkeep on the house, plus health insurance premiums). Or you can spend $1000/mo. Or $10,000/mo. If you're FIRE'd and a good parent, your kid will probably turn out pretty swell.

OP hasn't checked in since Feb 17th, so maybe we scared her away.

A couple of comments:

- You get part of the way to $400/month by assuming you can eliminate all of the extra expenses for housing. The extra housing cost is eliminated by prepaying rather than taking out a mortgage. But the only savings here are on the interest payments on the difference in price between the larger and smaller houses. That certainly doesn't eliminate all or even most of the difference for housing. I'll be generous and assume you save $110 in interest of the $310/month allocated for housing. And that assumes no expenses for child care, which means that you will never, ever hire a babysitter, or pay for music lessons or sports training, or let them participate in any of the myriad of after school activities that all of their friends participate in.
- Your plan also assumes that nothing ever goes wrong. Kid has adjustment problems and needs psychological treatment? Not included. Kid is very active and has lots of injuries that require ER visits? Not included. Kid struggles in school and needs tutoring? Not included. Kid is extra bright and wants to participate in special programs? Not included. Don't know of many parents who haven't had at least one of these occur. But I guess it's possible.
- The $800/month budget in the study is for families with modest incomes. Nothing in this budget includes, for instance, vacation expenses.

So, I guess it is possible to raise a kid for as little as $600/month, as long as she never travels or goes on vacation, stays perfectly healthy and doesn't require much in the way of medical care, has no special needs, and doesn't participate in any life enriching experiences.

Fred,

The housing costs in the study include principal and interest, and paying cash for the house would get rid of those costs. Sure, there are opportunity costs on the marginal increase paid for the extra bedroom or whatever (maybe $10-20k in my neighborhood). I imagine a lot of that housing cost is mortgage payments but I didn't see a good break down in the study.

I also want to point out that raising kids for the 30-something FIRE household has different costs than raising kids in a household still working. Many FIREee's have paid off houses and near zero child care expenses, therefore little ongoing child-related expenses in those categories.

As for "things going wrong" - these averages include all those instances of things going wrong. Therein lies the problem in using averages. You might have $20k in above average expenses if a low probability event occurs, but the averages are still the averages. I'd just go back to work if I needed $20k/yr to keep my kid alive and successful instead of saving the extra half a million required to fund that expense whether I need it or not.

As for education, the study said half of respondents in the study reported zero child care or education expenditures. Sounds about right as ours is very close to zero (currently $25/yr for school and $53 for a week of summer camp for 1 kid). You'll have to trust me that my kids don't lack enrichment opportunities (we're borrowing robotics kits from their elementary school's robotics laboratory over spring break for some hacking fun times :) ).

I can't tell where piano lessons or sports expenses would fall - misc or education/child care. I'll certainly concede you can't do travel sports or pay for high level arts training on $400/month total. Rec league stuff or school programs are another story.

The study's comments on the marginal cost method of determining child-related expenditures is telling (see page 18). Basically, things like vacations and entertainment expenses tend to stay moderately low or even decrease when you add a child(ren) into the household. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that we won't be hiking the trail to Machu Picchu, popping off the Bali for a long weekend, or much other crazy travel with our 2 year old in tow. The zoo? Parks? Maybe a short road trip? Yes.

Similarly, parental bar visits tend toward zero post-kids and most entertainment expenditures seem to revolve around the kids (and often with parents of kids' friends in our case).

Some might need $1000/month to provide a reasonable lifestyle for their kids, others $400/month. What's reasonable, right?

And maybe it boils down to how one budgets for 5-6 decades of retirement. Our house is our house - I don't view it as a kid-related expense since we can't find much cheaper housing with similar characteristics.

Our cars, the same. Although we might drop a couple thousand extra on a larger car at the next upgrade, and that'll probably be a one time thing since the oldest will be out of the house by the next car replacement cycle.

I guess I view the budgeting exercise much like the OP - forecast those expenses that are discrete and relatively easy to predict and then acknowledge there will be some lumpy expenses that are very specifically kid-related.

1. When you buy a house does it then count as part of the nest egg you can compute your safe withdrawal rate against? I've been thinking of whatever we spend on a house as a sunk cost since I don't trust that real estate actually appreciates, but I guess it's an asset that has value as well.

3. I'm confused about the riskiness of this plan and the advice that it's better to have a 2.5% withdrawal rate. Doesn't the 3-4% SWR math work regardless of how long you are in retirement?

Thanks again for all the input!

1. No, I wouldn't count the house as part of your assets for a SWR. Your primary residence is very unlikely to generate growth or dividends or bond coupons that you could use for expenses without renting it or selling.

3. The 3-4% SWR math doesn't necessarily work indefinitely. Inflation, unexpected expenses, and extensive bear markets could eat into your principal dramatically. The longer your retirement timeframe, the lower the % SWR needs to be for success.

Back
Top Bottom