Join Early Retirement Today

34, 4 years into career
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

34, 4 years into career

Hey there, total newb. Got a relatively late start on things because of graduate school. Married, 1 kid (might have another).

Making about a half mill a year between us - I work 60 hours a week or so in a high stress job that's slowly killing me.

Putting away about 175, spending 150, the rest goes to the guvmint. Portfolio is about 550. Probably about 8 years away from FI (assuming a reasonable rate of pay increase and a 7.5% return on my portfolio).

The bigger goal I have is to leave some money for my kid(s). 50 years old or 10 mill or a stroke (whichever first).

Hope to pick up some great tips from you guys.
relatively frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi relatively,
Take vacation to relieve stress, like illustrated in Dilbert:
http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000...1738.strip.gif
Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Hmmm, I bet your chlid/children would rather have a Dad and Granddad to share life with than the money ... 60 hours a week in a stressful job probably leaves very little left to give a spouse and toddler. Perhaps you can find something not so stressful that would allow you to be there for them ....
I know in my own situation I gave up the stress of management and a 25-50% pay raise and remain satisfied with a salary that is sub $100k but allows me to be there at all my families life experiences in a meaningful engaged way.

Retiring a few years later to a life full of relationships that were nurtured and invested in along the years when needed will be much more rewarding than leaving a career at 50 that took the wind out of your sails and left you with a bigger bank account.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman View Post
Retiring a few years later to a life full of relationships that were nurtured and invested in along the years when needed will be much more rewarding than leaving a career at 50 that took the wind out of your sails and left you with a bigger bank account.
First, welcome to the forum. I think there is a lot of wisdom in the quote here. Your health and your family time are something that you can't afford to lose.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote