Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cash the check asap. You'll still vomit of course.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, kind of anticlimactic. We did all the signing and the buyers got keys, but because we didn't make the 4pm deadline, the wire transfer forms don't go through until tomorrow morning.

So, I've sold the business and have a receivable that I suppose makes me a Paper Millionaire, but I won't actually get to giggle at the screenshot until tomorrow around 10am.

At least (I hope) the hard part is done.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats, now enjoy!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Cash the check asap. You'll still vomit of course.
+1 (at their bank)

(I mean cash the check at their bank, doesn't matter where you vomit!)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-d-g View Post
Well, kind of anticlimactic. We did all the signing and the buyers got keys, but because we didn't make the 4pm deadline, the wire transfer forms don't go through until tomorrow morning.

So, I've sold the business and have a receivable that I suppose makes me a Paper Millionaire, but I won't actually get to giggle at the screenshot until tomorrow around 10am.

At least (I hope) the hard part is done.
Well, are we giggling yet??

If so, congrats!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Well, are we giggling yet??

If so, congrats!
Oh yes. Very much so yes. Can't stop.

Look at ALL the ZEROES separated by ALL the COMMAS!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

congrats
Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My first weekend of FI, semi-RE.

Didn't even turn my laptop on last night when I got home from work. Just went to dinner with my family, came home, had a nice scotch, and watched TV with my wife.

No emails. No work IM. No problem solving. No executive decisions.

Yes sir, I think I can get used to this.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy anniversary to me

Been FIRE'd for one year today. Happy Anniversary to me (and my wife).

Like someone else said on here, the days go by slowly, but the years go by fast. I honestly can't believe it was a year ago today I hit refresh every 3 seconds on my bank account to see if we were "there" yet.

A year later, I can't believe I ever had time to do anything while I was still w*rking full-time (more than full-time actually). The best days in retirement are the days where we do absolutely nothing. Take my kid to school, come home and exercise, then spend the rest of the day with my wife - eating, shopping, watching tv, playing video games, chatting with friends and family. When I owned my business, I was making life-altering decisions for 1500+ clients around the country, ate stress for snacks, and never once got to take my kid to/from school. Now the most important decision I make every day (no joke) is which bottle of wine to open with dinner.

Early retirement has been nothing like what everyone (not on this site) told it would be. All the talk about how bored I'd be, how I'd be dying to start my next business, how I'd be stir crazy and suffer from rock fever no matter where I was. All nonsense. The total lack of real stress, the view from our Sonoma County house-on-the-hill, the trade of stress for relaxation -- it's heaven.

I accomplished almost nothing this year project wise and the best part is...it doesn't matter. I love it.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #30

Well, it looks like you have in fact accomplished something...moving from NYC to Sonoma? Nice move! Bet you love it there.

R
Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Well, it looks like you have in fact accomplished something...moving from NYC to Sonoma? Nice move! Bet you love it there.
LOVE it. It's funny, I never wanted to leave NYC and it was pretty depressing when my wife announced she was not going to live her early retirement years in the urban jungle (which I loved).

Four months after moving out here, I almost can't imagine what I was thinking. NYC is the coolest place on Earth and the only place I could have sold my business for what I sold it for. But once you're out of the rat race and spend your days trying to relax, you can't beat my deck on my hill in my wine country.

One of my favorite things to do is to check the weather here when I'm sitting outside in shorts and a tshirt (not today unfortunately) and then check the current weather back on the Upper West Side.

As much as I missed NYC the first week we moved out here, that's how little I miss it now. It costs us literally one third to live here with a significantly better quality of life.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-d-g View Post
....I accomplished almost nothing this year project wise and the best part is...it doesn't matter. I love it.
I hear you. One of the most surprising things about being retired is that I work on the project list when it is convenient and when I feel like it - for most things, what doesn't get done today can get dome tomorrow...or the next day... or the day after that.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
what doesn't get done today can get dome tomorrow...or the next day... or the day after that.
...or never.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #34

Seven more days for us, and we will be back in our central valley CA home. We love it there on our two acres in the quiet countryside. I've got a wraparound porch country-style home there, and will spend my first months of ER figuring out the landscaping plan. Fun!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! What an awesome story. You are living the dream.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #36

Congratulations !!! I love reading success stories like yours. I'm so glad you were able to avoid getting back into the rat race and are enjoying your ER the way the rest of us imagine

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote