35 And Jinxing My FIRE With This Post

My first weekend of FI, semi-RE.

Didn't even turn my laptop on last night when I got home from work. Just went to dinner with my family, came home, had a nice scotch, and watched TV with my wife.

No emails. No work IM. No problem solving. No executive decisions.

Yes sir, I think I can get used to this.

Happy anniversary to me

Been FIRE'd for one year today. Happy Anniversary to me (and my wife).

Like someone else said on here, the days go by slowly, but the years go by fast. I honestly can't believe it was a year ago today I hit refresh every 3 seconds on my bank account to see if we were "there" yet.

A year later, I can't believe I ever had time to do anything while I was still w*rking full-time (more than full-time actually). The best days in retirement are the days where we do absolutely nothing. Take my kid to school, come home and exercise, then spend the rest of the day with my wife - eating, shopping, watching tv, playing video games, chatting with friends and family. When I owned my business, I was making life-altering decisions for 1500+ clients around the country, ate stress for snacks, and never once got to take my kid to/from school. Now the most important decision I make every day (no joke) is which bottle of wine to open with dinner.

Early retirement has been nothing like what everyone (not on this site) told it would be. All the talk about how bored I'd be, how I'd be dying to start my next business, how I'd be stir crazy and suffer from rock fever no matter where I was. All nonsense. The total lack of real stress, the view from our Sonoma County house-on-the-hill, the trade of stress for relaxation -- it's heaven.

I accomplished almost nothing this year project wise and the best part is...it doesn't matter. I love it.

Well, it looks like you have in fact accomplished something...moving from NYC to Sonoma? Nice move! Bet you love it there.

R

Well, it looks like you have in fact accomplished something...moving from NYC to Sonoma? Nice move! Bet you love it there.

LOVE it. It's funny, I never wanted to leave NYC and it was pretty depressing when my wife announced she was not going to live her early retirement years in the urban jungle (which I loved).

Four months after moving out here, I almost can't imagine what I was thinking. NYC is the coolest place on Earth and the only place I could have sold my business for what I sold it for. But once you're out of the rat race and spend your days trying to relax, you can't beat my deck on my hill in my wine country.

One of my favorite things to do is to check the weather here when I'm sitting outside in shorts and a tshirt (not today unfortunately) and then check the current weather back on the Upper West Side.

As much as I missed NYC the first week we moved out here, that's how little I miss it now. It costs us literally one third to live here with a significantly better quality of life.

....I accomplished almost nothing this year project wise and the best part is...it doesn't matter. I love it.

I hear you. One of the most surprising things about being retired is that I work on the project list when it is convenient and when I feel like it - for most things, what doesn't get done today can get dome tomorrow...or the next day... or the day after that.

Seven more days for us, and we will be back in our central valley CA home. We love it there on our two acres in the quiet countryside. I've got a wraparound porch country-style home there, and will spend my first months of ER figuring out the landscaping plan. Fun!

Congratulations !!! I love reading success stories like yours. I'm so glad you were able to avoid getting back into the rat race and are enjoying your ER the way the rest of us imagine :)

Back
Top Bottom