Join Early Retirement Today

4 years 5 months and counting - Starting to prep for ER launch
Old 02-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

4 years 5 months and counting - Starting to prep for ER launch

Hi all,

Wifey and I are intending to hang it up @ 55. We could probably do so now... but we have decide to wait on company health care (available @ 55) which is available to both of us from both of our companies. Also, we are still figuring out what we want to do... We are thinking about traveling quite a bit in the years of 55-65. Plus, we are currently helping elderly parents so we are a bit teathered to home for now... We figure we might as well work for now.

We are in a little of a rare situation now days. We both work for companies that are over 100 years old. Both companies are very strong with great balance sheets and revenues. I have a traditional pension coming (but will have less than 20 year with the company), she has over 25 years with a PST.

Both companies offer retiree health benefits. There is a reduced premium cost for each plan. However, I have not identifed the costs (premiums/benefit mix) yet which is an important factor in making decisions regarding selection of plan. But we are fairly sure that the cost of each will be south of $2k/yr for each plan in 2011.

My question to the forum is --- given a 2011 cost of $2k for premiums on each plan, should we each choose our respective companies health plans and place the other on each plan as a spouse (redundancy) or should we try to pick the plan/company that appears to be the best/strongest to try to reduce costs instead of paying for the redundancy (kinda like insurance against a plan being dropped). The savings would be $2k and rising a year. I suspect that @ 65 when Medicare is available to use we would consider making changes that make sense at the time... possibly dropping the spouse option which might save some $ on premium.

Thanks all :
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 4 years 5 months and counting - Starting to prep for ER launch
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

If something happens to you or your wife is the spouse allowed to stay on the policy. Plus if one of you drops your policy does your company allow you to resign up for the policy ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Chinaco.

What would cost more-- paying for a redundant policy for a decade, or having to find replacement insurance if you choose one policy and it gets dropped?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
I suspect that @ 65 when Medicare is available to use we would consider making changes that make sense at the time... possibly dropping the spouse option which might save some $ on premium.
If you drop the spouse coverage on both of the insurances now could you add spousal coverage back to one later if the other insurance were to go away? If so it might be cheaper to go this route.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good points. This is a topic that I will be researching and crunching numbers. I will keep you posted.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many companies are breaking promises of health care for life (or until 65) of retirees. I would recommend that you and DW hedge your bet by each going with your own company for health insurance. In that way, if one unethical former employer stoops to the low level of breeching its contractual obligations to those who served them faithfully for many years, then the victimized spouse can go with the other insurance company.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote