Join Early Retirement Today

4 Years in retirement!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

4 Years in retirement!

Well we made it through my first 4 years in great shape. Started with medical problems, cancer, back surgery, kidney stones. However, all is well and doing great now. We have been using the 4% withdrawal method right now(have not adjusted for inflation). If we do not spend all the money we reinvest it. I did take SS at 62 and also have a pension. Net worth has increase by 26% since I retired which is good news. One thing we will be changing is staying in Ohio for the entire winter. Have booked the month of February in FL for next year. The biggest surprise I have found in retirement is how busy I stay. Don't know how I did it all when I was working!
golfersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Booking the month of February in FL when you live in OH will be a good thing. Hope that we can do that some day. Also, I agree that time just seems to fly by.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

Well done, OP. Have a great retirement.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

Hurrah for you! Getting out of Ohio for February's is a great idea. Golf and boating...
Old 05-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear you are healthier and enjoying retirement.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

4 years retired and in OH for us also. Staying a little closer to 3.5 WR and also had a substantial increase in NW over the period due to market recovery. But I am sure it will go up and down. We are headed to NC, probably full time in a few years. But you are absolutely right about some place else besides OH in Feb.
sgilbert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Happy to hear you are doing well and that the $$ side of the equation is also looking very good. Here's to many, many healthy and prosperous years.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

golfersailor - thanks for the update ! I found your story inspiring. Give yourself a little victory dance !!! Florida in February is MUCH better than Ohio in Feb !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote