40 yrs of age from Hawaii and hoping to retire in 15 yrs.

DailyGrind

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi Everyone,

DailyGrind here, at least it feels that way. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now and there are a lot of contributors here with sound advice. I'd like to first say thank you to all the vets and contributors for sharing your wisdom.

I'm 40 yrs old this yr, am married and have 3 young kids (ages 6 months - 6 yrs old). Currently have about 200k in 401k, 60k in Roth IRA, 120k in equity Mutual Funds, and 100k in cash. I contribute the max to 401k ($16,500) as well as max funding Roth IRA's for myself and wife ($10,000) yearly. I'm still able to save around $30,000 a year on top of contributing to my retirement accounts. My asset allocation is 95% stock Mutual Funds (emerging market, international, technology, large cap, mid cap, small cap, natural resources, real estate), 5% Bond Mutual Funds.

I know I need to plan or allocate my investments better. I'm open to all suggestions and critique. Be as brutally honest as you want.

Aloha,

DailyGrind

Welcome. I don't see anything wrong with being invested 95% in stock Mutual Funds. I'm going to wait a few years to buy bonds, until interest rates go up.

You would not be a coffee grower on the Big Island, BTW?

lol. That's pretty witty. No, I wish my life was that interesting. My daily grind consists of commuting to and from my 9-5 job.

Perhaps when I do actually retire, I'll get to devote more time to hobbies and such.

lol. That's pretty witty. No, I wish my life was that interesting. My daily grind consists of commuting to and from my 9-5 job.

Perhaps when I do actually retire, I'll get to devote more time to hobbies and such.
The reason I asked was that I worked with a young women who (along with her DH) packed it in at a young age and they relocated from the Mid-Atlantic to your state to do exactly that, along with running a small B&B on their property. The ages and kids (only one when I knew her) sounded about right :LOL: ...

Welcome. I don't see anything wrong with being invested 95% in stock Mutual Funds. I'm going to wait a few years to buy bonds, until interest rates go up.

Thanks! We're practically neighbors. I'm in Kailua. I've been riding the Tech and emerging markets waves since '95. I think I've only about broke even. Trying to understand if a slow and steady approach is better seeing how my time horizon is getting shorter.

Any other investment ideas out there worth considering? Real estate, commodities, annuities/IUL? Or are stocks/bonds the best primary investment vehicle out there?

Thanks for your reply.

Real estate, commodities, annuities/IUL?
I don't have a clue. I'm just rather distrustful right now of bonds. Though there seem to be plenty of folks here who are still investing in them. But since I've already retired, I don't have quite the same problem as most contributors to this forum.

I don't have a clue. I'm just rather distrustful right now of bonds. Though there seem to be plenty of folks here who are still investing in them. But since I've already retired, I don't have quite the same problem as most contributors to this forum.

LOL. I'm rather distrustful of everything right now, that's why I have 20% cash and trying to figure out what to do with everything I have. I would love to put it on autopilot and come back to it in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom