401k withdrwal

CHARLTON55

Confused about dryer sheets
55 year old man.just quit my job and withdrew my 401k money.
Had 14000 dollars in account when i quit.it took three weeks to get a check. The check was 12000 dollars,no taxes withheld.
Shouldn't i get the amount that was in there when i quit ,not what was in there 3 weeks later due to stock market decline.
Thanks

Last edited:
Based on when they rec'd & processed. Also, they may have held back employer cont that were not yet vested?

Charlton, you can always call the administrator and ask how they arrived at that. I'll throw out a guess that either by the time your order was received and then executed the market moved from $14,000 to $12,000 and that would be what you get or maybe thy sold at $14,000 and withheld the rest (on your behalf) to go toward taxes, this $2,000 would of course reduce your taxes due next spring.
You will owe taxes on the entire amount as taxes and possibly a 10% penalty. 401k money for the most part shouldn't come out until 59 1/2 though there are exceptions and you may qualify at 55 with a job separation. You should quickly find out before your rollover timeframe expires.

Market loss, or perhaps a 10 percent penalty for early withdrawal before age 59-1/2?

Just call human resources and tell them you need to know for tax purposes what has been withheld.

They may be required to hold out some for taxes by law. Best to ask the administrator of the plan--each plan is different and typically they have different vesting rules and disbursement rules.

Back
Top Bottom