Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the comment. The answer to why I am interested in retiring is pretty simple in my mind. I always looked at my business as an investment. I knew there were substantial risks involved in building a business, but if I was going to have options early in life, that was a risk I was willing to take. Fast forward to age worked out. I can't lie. There were many times it looked like it may not. I can only speak from my experience, but there were some really thin times and some dark days.

My outlook is that you get one shot in this life. I always have felt that there is much more to life than just a job, a title, the next contract, keeping up with the Joneses, and shiny new toys. I have always wanted to experience different things rather than buy superfluous stuff. Some people like to buy stuff for a multitude of reasons. I'm not one of those people. I spent a lot of time building my business. Selling my company was a way for me to buy some of that time back. I want to experience more than just a conference room and airports. I also want to be present during those experiences and not preoccupied with other responsibilities.

I have no regrets about selling the company. I'm no longer obligated to the buyer. I'm free to my own devices now. Don't get me wrong, it's a great time in my life. It's just a bit strange considering I don't know anyone my age that has done what I've done or made the decision I have made. I know for a fact I have friends with a heck of a lot more money than me, yet they still keep going. To each his own...

While I'm figuring out what to do with my time, I wanted to make sure I don't mess up our finances. That's why I posed the question to the forum.

Thanks again for your comment.

dscott745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, I think you have thought this out very carefully and you are ready to take a break, whether the break be temporary or permanent.

I love my new lifestyle of leisure. It's been seven months now, and I can't even imagine having to go back into an office and keep a busy schedule any more. So I would definitely recommend you take a break, enjoy life, and see how it goes. If the leisure time continues to be enjoyable, you may be done with work. If you get an itch to start doing something again, I suspect many opportunities will come your way.

And yes, I still wake up every day and say to myself, how did it come to be that at age 46 I don't have to work any more? Seeing all the news reports of how much people are struggling, it seems almost surreal to imagine that I'm free to do whatever I want for the rest of my life. But LBYM all those years when my income was high gave me this freedom. You sound like you've done exactly the same, and now you get to enjoy the rewards. Go for it and don't look back!

Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
We appear to all agree that you have the cash to retire and live on the 135k budget you suggest. Here, in my opinion could be your challlenge. You have been successful and your community has that knowledge.When I think of someone retired at age 46, I think of someone that has enough money to give back to the community. So, you'll hear from friends, charities, asking for time....yes, but really asking for your financial help.....that has happened to me and others like me that previously owned successful businesses.

I am able to help and have budgeted to do so.......not to the extent that others would like but I do feel the pressure to do so and wished I would have added more to my budget before selling my company. Just a thought......not on your finances.....but what you will do with your time and the external pressures a young "rich" retiree experiences.

Good luck and enjoy your retirement!!!!!!

jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote