Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will be out of my job end of this year and will be 53. Also have about $700K. We have 0 kids. It will be 9 - 10 years before wife and I will get SS of about $3,000/month. I'm still searching for another job. If not, I'm going to get a part-time job or do something to earn some money. I would say - semi-retirement is the answer for you as it is for me if I can't find another full time job. We have a back-up option to go to the Philippines as we have lots of family there and have lived there - $1,500/month ($18K per year) in the Philippines will be a great life for us as cost of living is cheap.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
We have a back-up option to go to the Philippines as we have lots of family there and have lived there - $1,500/month ($18K per year) in the Philippines will be a great life for us as cost of living is cheap.
Same. Definitely a strong contender if I need assisted living.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicRain View Post

We are also willing to sell our house and rent later in life in needed.
I would personally keep the house since it's already paid for. Rent has been going up in many areas in the U.S. and I'm sure that is probably true in your neck of the woods. Don't give up the one thing that is such a stable place for you and the family.

Hopefully you'll find work soon...
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the feedback. This is where I am at.....
I do have some left over burnout issues from my last roles. So, I am going to try to find something that will fit and give me satisfaction. If that does not work, I will more than likely go back to school to retrain at something. Practical nurses make 60k plus where I am from and the program is only 16 months long - unlimited job security. I think I would find the role rewarding but will do my research as some of you have suggested. I will work some sort of easier job until my course start date. Now that the kids are getting older, my wife is going to be a hair stylist (a lifelong passion) - so she is going to start a second career as well. Either way - hopefully we should still be on track to retire early down the road while trying keep my health in check....
OrganicRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. This is where I am at.....
I do have some left over burnout issues from my last roles. So, I am going to try to find something that will fit and give me satisfaction. If that does not work, I will more than likely go back to school to retrain at something. Practical nurses make 60k plus where I am from and the program is only 16 months long - unlimited job security. I think I would find the role rewarding but will do my research as some of you have suggested. I will work some sort of easier job until my course start date. Now that the kids are getting older, my wife is going to be a hair stylist (a lifelong passion) - so she is going to start a second career as well. Either way - hopefully we should still be on track to retire early down the road while trying keep my health in check....
Sounds like a smart plan. Good luck. Personally I never regretted going back to school and following a different career path.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'd suggest you not think in terms of retirement. 3 children means a lot of unexpected expenses down the road.
+1

Quote:
I am really burnt out on what I have been doing to the point where it was damaging my health. Also tired of the job insecurity in the field that I am and constant pressure for results.

I guess one option is to retrain to a lower stress and stable career....?
You will find similar pressures in more and more employment fields … the days of coasting are largely over, and that includes nursing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You are considering practical nurse. Nursing is high stress (your patients are always dying!), and practical nurse is pretty close to the bottom of that medical totem pole, which is often not a good place to be.
Correct.