Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I know you hated teaching, but if you have no criminal record (meaning, never been fingerprinted after arrest) you could get a job teaching English in Korea and save $1,000 or more per month. If you rented your house out, you would also have income from that. Try it for a year, if you don't like it, come home.

There is a lot of parental pressure in Korea (and in Japan and in coastal China & Taiwan) to learn English, so the kids, generally, are well behaved. You could also make extra money through privates and might even find a niche teaching Spanish on the side.

I know this through research but not first hand. Just wanted to throw that out as a another option for you.

You could do something similar, though a bit less lucrative, in Spanish speaking countries.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Vicki, I am a retired city worker (no $100,000 pension though and I am not complaining) and I need to find another job myself. Anyway, Look into your federal, state, city & local court systems for an interpreter's position. Here in NY, they hire full time, part time, and per diem. Look into ALL civil service jobs, take any entry level test just to get your foot in the door and you will be SHOCKED to see the level of advancement opportunities. Good Luck.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Carol911. Here in California, the court system is always looking for Spanish interpreters.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex6819;1111437
With lesson prep time and grading papers, and creating PowerPoint presentations etc etc, teaching works out to below minimum wage, after you factor in all the other stuff you do to crank out an exciting lesson a day, for each class. I never worked less than 80 hours a week the year I taught high school Spanish, in 1996-1997. I was paid under $21K.

I enjoyed working in a library part time when I was a college student. It was the last job I remember really liking a lot. So, now that I'm unemployed (and I just want to do something that doesn't suck for a change) I decided to pursue my passion for books and [B
I'm currently in grad school working on a library media degree.[/B] My passion for library work is the reason why I want a part time library job right now, and not a full or part time "anything else", because anything less would be completely irrelevant to my career goals at this time.

Vicki
Not sure if you will continue to visit this thread. I'm curious on two points though for which I'm personally no expert.

1) I thought in teaching even static subject that your first year or two require a lot of investment in the development of lesson plans and coursework and that later on your time investment would drop dramatically. Did you not think that in the one year you did it? Obviously can't overcome the fact that the kids were no fun though.

2) What kind of career opportunities are there for someone with a Library Media Degree? I know locally there has been a lot of talk about how there isn't enough funding for library's and reductions in hours with even talks to close some branches. Given you could work for another 10-20 years I'm not sure how great long term employment in the field of library is?

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello Vicki and welcome to the forum. To answer your question, I would keep working. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex6819 View Post
Hello!

At what point would I be financially ready to be "semi-retired"? Should I try to keep working full time (assuming I can find a full time job) or just F**** It, Retire Early?

thanks,

Vicki
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex6819 View Post
My passion for library work is the reason why I want a part time library job right now, ...
I say, follow your dream. Keep up your grad work and keep up your pursuit of a sustaining job with a library. It sounds to me like you're on track to find a fulfilling vocation. However, it does seem a little premature to figure on retiring -- you haven't really got started to work yet. My wife did an undergraduate degree in Spanish, too, but of course the problem there is you get a lot of competition from the many people around who've learned both Spanish and English outside any academic setting. My wife just used that Spanish degree as a springboard to advanced degrees in linguistics. I don't actually know what "library media" is, but it sounds interesting.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mod edit, deleting spammed message. Tip of the hat to travelover for spotting this first
Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Good job travelover!

The mod team tries to remove spam as fast as possible. We have had a lot of spam lately and we appreciate everyone's help in keeping the boards spam-free. To make our job easier and to ensure timely deletion, please use the "report post" button (see below) to quickly bring an offending post to the mods' attention. We appreciate everyone's help!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Good job travelover!

The mod team tries to remove spam as fast as possible. We have had a lot of spam lately and we appreciate everyone's help in keeping the boards spam-free. To make our job easier and to ensure timely deletion, please use the "report post" button (see below) to quickly bring an offending post to the mods' attention. We appreciate everyone's help!

You mods move real fast. I saw the spam in my inbox and went straight to this page to report the spam, and it was already done!

Great Work!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
You mods move real fast. I saw the spam in my inbox and went straight to this page to report the spam, and it was already done!

Great Work!
Thank you. We try to be as diligent as possible.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Good job travelover!..........
I'm a vigilante at heart.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #32

If I were you, I'd start looking for work where you could use your Spanish skills. I'd post an ad as a Spanish Tutor on craigslist, University/High School Bulletin board etc.

Too many opportunities out there.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Another option: You could volunteer in a library to get your foot in the door. Visibility is key. It's often said, it's not what you know, but who you know. It would also give you something in the field to put on your resume. A strategy similar to this has worked for me three times in my career.