Join Early Retirement Today
43 & Maxing 403b, 457 - what next?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
43 & Maxing 403b, 457 - what next?

I was very lucky to get a great job in California (relocated from Oregon) and while there are state tax and personal income tax - still able to benefit from the move financially. I work in education and am investing the max - $15,500 in both my 403b and 457. I have a house in Oregon with under 100k on mortgage (just was able to rent it out after long vacancy) - about 10 years left on mortage (15 year mortgage). Also have 40k in Emergency fund. In addition to the aforementioned - also started this month putting $1000 into Vanguard for short term and the longer term. I don't know how long this financial position will last but am wondering if I should keep on this path or maybe try and pay off my mortgage early (or is there tax benefit since I own a home in Oregon and rent in California) or what are some other options to consider. Thanks for your patience and helpful advice.

Canada66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Sounds like you are doing well.I just want to comment that now that I am in the distribution stage I wish I had about equal parts of tax deferred and tax sheltered investments so I could have more choices of where to draw monies from.

Still if you are sheltering $30k every year you probably need the tax deduction now.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
If your kids have earned income, fund a roth ira for them.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote