43 & Maxing 403b, 457 - what next?

Canada66

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi
I was very lucky to get a great job in California (relocated from Oregon) and while there are state tax and personal income tax - still able to benefit from the move financially. I work in education and am investing the max - $15,500 in both my 403b and 457. I have a house in Oregon with under 100k on mortgage (just was able to rent it out after long vacancy) - about 10 years left on mortage (15 year mortgage). Also have 40k in Emergency fund. In addition to the aforementioned - also started this month putting $1000 into Vanguard for short term and the longer term. I don't know how long this financial position will last but am wondering if I should keep on this path or maybe try and pay off my mortgage early (or is there tax benefit since I own a home in Oregon and rent in California) or what are some other options to consider. Thanks for your patience and helpful advice.

Sounds like you are doing well.I just want to comment that now that I am in the distribution stage I wish I had about equal parts of tax deferred and tax sheltered investments so I could have more choices of where to draw monies from.

Still if you are sheltering $30k every year you probably need the tax deduction now.

Back
Top Bottom