Join Early Retirement Today

43 and yearning to be FIRE'd
Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

43 and yearning to be FIRE'd

Hi All

I found this forum through one of the blogs I visit from time to time.

By way of introduction I'm an expat living in Hong Kong planning/hoping to hit my retirement number by the end of 2011 and retire one or two years after that (end of 2013 at the very latest).

Given that I have two young children (currently ages 6 and 4) and my wife is a few years younger than me, I have to assume that our savings may need to last up to 50 years. Also, I do not have a pension and the local equivalent of SS is relatively low so I do not have much other than our savings to fall back on. (On the positive side, the taxes are low, the public health service is pretty good and I live in a city where a car is completely unnecessary.)

This makes me a bit nervous about quitting early but hopefully the extra year or two of work will be enough to provide an adequate safety buffer.

FIREcalc is a great tool and the numbers stack up (as did my own more primitive calculations) but I'm still wondering if I'm being a bit rash. If anyone can point to any papers or threads on very long retirement periods (50 years), I would be grateful.

Cheers
traineeinvestor
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
FIREcalc is a great tool and the numbers stack up (as did my own more primitive calculations) but I'm still wondering if I'm being a bit rash. If anyone can point to any papers or threads on very long retirement periods (50 years), I would be grateful.
On the dark (blue or green) bar across the top of each page, you will find our "Search" function, for searching the forum. We have had many, many threads on this topic due to the nature of this forum, so do a search and read to your heart's content. Here's an interesting thread from 2005 discussing a 50 year SWR, though of course there are newer, similar threads:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...5-a-17687.html

Welcome to the ER Forum.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Here's an interesting thread from 2005 discussing a 50 year SWR, though of course there are newer, similar threads.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...5-a-17687.html
Wow. That was an eye opener. In light of the recent round of slashed dividends, this one is particularly painful, partially because I would have agreed whole heartedly:
Quote:
I dont see a diversified portfolio of dividend paying stocks as having an issue with dividend cuts. You can always invest in stocks with long history of dividend increases, but sure some will have issues from time to time, but I would say it is far less risky than depending on capital gains year-to-year (who knows how the market will value a stock price). Dividends were even paid during the Depression.
Somebody remind me to be careful about predicting the future.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Somebody remind me to be careful about predicting the future.
Predicting the future is easy. It's that accuracy thing that's tough.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

At least with my portfolio, dividends held up better last year than my overall portfolio value. Which is not to say that either did all that spectacularly well...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the link. I did the seach and found some other helpful threads.

Plan A: It looks like the best approach is to attempt to largely live off rents, dividends and interest without drawing down principal much (or at all) - given that I do not have the cushion of SW to supplement my income I should be more conservative than most.

Plan B: send my wife back to work - this works for me .

Plan C: Reverse mortgage (not readily available in Hong Kong at the moment, but I can always hope for the future).

Plan D: stop exercising and increase consumption of junk food and alcohol.

Cheers
traineeinvestor
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey...it's nice you've got a good sense of humor! A 50 year plan...that will be a bit tough. I've got a 40 year plan but I only need a 2 1/2% WR because I have a pension and ss should take care of the rest, but I figure I'll kick off before I'm 91. I like junk food too.

You are still young. Along the way if you don't feel comfortable or something goes haywire, I imagine you could get a part-time job to ease the strain on your portfolio.

Welcome...and enjoy the forum.