Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks everyone for the responses- I got some helpful information esp from Rodi- and I appreciated everyone's opinions. It was a welcome distraction for a lousy day at work.
ugeauxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Freq flyer- No the part time thing is part of the retirement package so you can't do it indefinitely. You work part time for two years basically to introduce your clients to your replacement then you stop coming to work but they continue to pay you for 2 more years.
That sounds like a perfect way to phase into retirement.... if I understand you correctly you get 4 years comp for 2 years of part-time work... if so that sounds pretty good. So in effect you get 4 years of comp for a year of work spread out over 2 years? What's not to like about that?

I worked part-time for a number of years before retiring for good. It was great. You can transfer the burden and stress to the "new guy".

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
43- To Quit or Not to Quit- and when...
Old 01-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #23

43- To Quit or Not to Quit- and when...

I would quit at 48, I mean take the retirement package. It's young enough to enjoy life and old enough to retire.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I would have a hard time turning down that extra compensation. Is there anything you could do as an incentive to help with the work stress, like weekly massages or some other luxury? I kind of wish I had given myself some sort of incentive to stay a little longer, the way it turned out I ended up imploding from the stress.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #25

Aside from eating chocolate and drinking wine? That's what I'm doing at the moment... I am pondering my options. Most days its fine, but days like today make me doubt I can last 4 more years. I am really thinking about that. Many brokers seem to disappear from their offices on Friday afternoons. I haven't ever done it, but I'm thinking hard about it.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #26

Is there any way to talk your company into moving up the start date of that retirement package (i know, most big corps that stuff is in stone, but can't hurt to ask HR).

Given the kids, the future comp, and your husband's ambivalence, I'd say at least hold out and see how you feel one year from now vs. pulling the trigger now.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #27

I'm going to try that actually. There is a seminar at the home office for people considering the retirement package. I'll sign up for it and ask when I am there, but I'm not really hopeful. My company doesn't have much of a sense of humor. Brokers are increasingly hard to find. The process for starting them out is archaic and the job is grueling. Recent college graduates are quitting in droves- they just don't want to work 70 hours a week for the first 3-5 years of a career for little pay while they build their business. The income several years out is substantial but most don't make it that far. The average age of a broker is now over 60 and they won't want to let a young productive one go any sooner than necessary.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Aside from eating chocolate and drinking wine?
Hey - those are great sources of flavinoids - my favorite antioxidents. IMO red wine and chocolate are both health foods.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #29

Quote:
I am new to this forum- and grateful for it. Nearly everyone I mention that I'm retiring thinks I'm off my rocker. So here is the situation. I am 43, my husband is 52. We have enough to retire now- I know this because I am a financial advisor. We have 1.5 mil in securities and we spend about 60k per year. We save a LOT- 40% of our income usually. We have no debt. I had planned on retiring at 1.5 mil, my husband said he'd rather have more than that (2 mil so we can live on 3% instead of 4%), but he doesn't want to retire anyway. I don't care if he retires, he has a contract work sort of job and can accept jobs or not depending on his schedule. I bet he'll slow down when I do. We should reach 2 mil in 2-3 years, depending on the market and our normal savings. My company (where I have worked for 19 years) has come up with a retirement package that is generous- VERY generous. Its about 4 years pay for 2 years part time work. (this works out to be somewhere between 500 and 600K in today's pay, but I may make more in 4 years) But to get it I have to stay 4 more years, till my 48th birthday. I have middle school aged kids so I can't travel much anyway at the moment. My job isn't horrible, and my hours are very flexible, but its stressful. While I am great at what I do, my heart isn't in it anymore. My company which used to be a pleasure to work for has become a pain in the butt. So the upside to staying 4 years is I would not have to argue with my husband about whether we had enough money to go to Europe- by that time even with modest market returns our money would be double what we had planned. Also I'm having a hard time leaving a half million dollars on the table even though we don't need it. Any thoughts?
Ugeaux; Did you mention the cost of education for your 2children. Are those funds set aside and separate from your 1.5M?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #30

Yes- they both have funded 529 accounts. Not fully funded though- I want them to have to work some. The older one will probably get scholarships- i told him if he has money left in his college accounts after he gets a degree he could have it- he's already dreaming of the car he will buy. We will be retired for several years by the time younger son goes to college. We will offer him the same deal. He may qualify for assistance due to our lowered income. DH and I are already arguing about whether or not to buy them cars and when. I didn't get a car till second year of college. He got one when he turned 16- though both first cars were old beat up cars and not cool new ones. We both agree that kids are not allowed to have nicer cars than their parents which may be a cool factor problem for them. Husband has a pick up truck and I drive a Mazda6 and we do not replace them often!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
... Nearly everyone I mention that I'm retiring thinks I'm off my rocker. ...
Well get used to that. And have fun with it.

(Personally, people around the neighborhood think I'm either a spy or a drug dealer .... I don't discourage either of those false impressions)
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Hey, just saw this thread, let me give you a proper welcome!

That sounds like a very good package, one I'd certainly be inclined to take, what with your travel constraints and DH wanting to keep working a bit longer on his consulting gig.

Going to the seminar sounds like a good plan, and really just trying to stick it out day to day. That's the hard part, for everyone. Some days are longer than others...

As I reach for the Godiva bar hidden in my desk drawer...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Unless I am confused they are only asking you to work p.t. for 2 years not 4 but get 4 years pay. I think you should not turn down this good deal. P.T. is so much easier then F.T.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #34

I do think its a good deal. I'm just not sure I can make it another 4 years. I guess I am asking opinions for what I'm really asking myself and that is how much the next 4 years of my life are worth. DH makes more than enough money to support us if I quit now- especially with the dividend income from our investments. And he doesn't want to quit now- just me. I'll probably stick it out for a bit... Its nice knowing I can quit, even if I haven't done it yet.