Join Early Retirement Today
43 year old wants to ER in 5 - 7 years. Will I make it???
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
43 year old wants to ER in 5 - 7 years. Will I make it???

Hi ER,

I've been lurking for about 3 months and have learned an incredible amount in that time. There are some smart cookies on this site and I appreciate the theory mixed with practical knowledge. There is no substitute for experience.

I caught the ER vision about 18 months ago after getting squeezed out in a corporate merger. They paid me well to leave, but it jarred my thinking about work, MegaCorp and what is important in life. Here's my situation and I would appreciate your thoughts on the best way to move forward.

Personal: I'm 43 and my wife is a 45 year old smokin' hot stay-at-home babe. Married for 21 years and I'm working to ensure that she doesn't trade me in for a younger model (she says "it's not the years, it's the mileage") We have 3 wonderful children and a son (just kidding - all four are wonderful) ranging in age from 9 - 19. Oldest is in college. We anticipate that all of the kids will go to college and we will pay 80% of their total costs for an in-state school or a private religious college (total cost should be $15K-$20K per year per child). The kids understand this and are already saving.

Financial: So far, the main focus has been debt elimination (large student loan debt and a large house) and tax management. Now that debt has been eliminated, we are starting to focus on growth.
- No debt
- Home equity - $400K
- Emergency cash reserve - $50K
- 401K/IRAs - $550K (S&P Index Fund)
- Roth IRA - $60K (S&P Index Fund)
- 529s - $60K (Target dated mutual funds)
- Misc. Real Estate Investment - $25K

FireCalc: In order to get above an 85% likelihood, I need a portfolio of $2.0M.
Id like to ER in 5 7 years (or less) - that means that I need to grow my investment assets by about $1.3M. We save approximately $60-100K per year, not including dividends, cash flow and interest from investments which are re-invested.

How are things looking? How best to grow the portfolio?

Any and all thoughts/critiques are welcome! Thanks!

SkeetShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I checked out your financial goal in this investment calculator, with a present value of $700K, return rate of 6 percent compounded daily, $6666 in monthly contributions (for a total of $80K annually) to reach a final goal of $2M. It will take 8.25 years to reach your goal.

If you save $100K a year it goes down to 7.3 years. Of course, a higher rate of return will get you there faster.

Savings & Investment Calculator |-

inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
What AA did you use in the Firecalc calculation?
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote