Join Early Retirement Today

46/42 DINKs with no debt seeking change
Old 08-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

46/42 DINKs with no debt seeking change

Hello ladies and gentleman,

I’ll try to give the really short, simple version...

My wife and I are high income professionals with no debt, including a paid off home. We have about 1.35 in taxable and 650 in retirement accounts (all vanguard index funds 60/40). We plan to let our retirement accounts grow and not to maneuver to make any early withdrawals. Our annual spending is between 50-60k and we don’t see that changing. That does not include health insurance since that is paid in full for both of us by our employer. We are both very fit and healthy.

I have the opportunity to leave my employer in 15 months with a payout of 160k and full health coverage for both of us for two years.

We both want to leave our jobs and take advantage of the current opportunity to leave. We don’t know what is next. It’s possible/likely that there would be some paid employment in our futures either part time or full. Or... if our financial position allows it, maybe not.

Is it crazy to turn it in and give up our incomes to move on?
333three is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

You don't say how you'll realize income if you quit working. If it was all qualified (dividends or long-term capital gains), you'd owe no tax. I posted yesterday to a different thread with the 2019 MFJ tax brackets. Figure out how they apply to your plan.

If you need to buy your own health insurance, budget 20K for that. (Premium and deductible) Unless you can keep your MAGI low enough to qualify for ACA subsidy.

80K from a 1.5M taxable portfolio is 5.3% WR. Kinda high. Supplementing a lower withdrawal rate with "some paid employment in our futures either part time or full" should definitely be part of your plan.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you should try to maneuver to take the tax bite out of your retirement account over time. I think you have an excellent opportunity to do Roth rollovers and minimize taxes since you have a very long time horizon. When you have the opportunity and time on your side, you should try to minimize taxes...
NgineER is online now   Reply With Quote