Join Early Retirement Today

46 and counting down....
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

46 and counting down....

Hello everyone, just joined this forum and love it. So I'm plunging in with my snapshot:

Sales engineer in Detroit, I'm 46(wife 47) married 10 yrs -no kids.

Total liquid = $650k - $500k in IRA(half roth/half rollover), $100k in 401k, $50k cash. 11 yrs to go on mortgage on house worth $300k(and dropping). $300k in lakefront real estate(as investment - low tax basis). May decide to build on the lakefront lot as retirement home, but now just holding it for waterfront property to rebound in 8-10 yrs.

Would like to retire at 55, hoping bull market continues at better returns over next 10 yrs than the last 10. Can we hope for 9-10% going fwd ? Wife and I have no pensions, just ss.

My rule of thumb has been to retire(and live off 4% draw), I would need $2 m(w mortgage) or $1 m ( w house paid off). Our situation is unique(no college, weddings to fund) so I wonder what you guys think of our projections?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

what's the mortgage and equity on both properties?

Just curious, but which lake?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

Mortgage on house $218k

No mortgage on land(Lk Mich)
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
Mortgage on house $218k

No mortgage on land(Lk Mich)
Did you refinanced your house with lower interest rate? I would pay off the house first before holding lots of cash on hand especially at current interest rate. I do believe with your current Roth and 401K, it should reach $1 million range by time your wife turn 55. However, at that time would $40K year would be enough. I have a bad feeling about inflation lurking in later part of 2012 after the election that would mirror similar to late 70s and early 80s. If it happens, I don't think too many of us will be able to retire. We have to work till the dying day.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome mjb3. First you may need to calculate your monthly expenses. Then enter your data on Firecalc and here: See Where You Stand | Merrill Edge Retirement to run simulations.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! Try FIRECALC out with some different scenarios. Sorry to hear about your real estate holdings. My wife and I escaped the Metro D area 4 years ago.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #7

Sandhog,

Mortgage on house decent rate 4.5% fixed, 15 yr. Not worth paying down early - pretty cheap money. If I do have over $1m by 55, still not sure if the $40k will be enough. That's where I'm hoping to have $1.5 m( $60k) by that time. But we all know what the last 10 yrs have been like. I think the real estate(waterfront) will come back but it will be 8-10 yrs away.

Robbridg,

Only good thing about D's market is that it never went up like Nev, AZ. So doesn't fall as much. But region will never be like it was in 50s or ever the 80s. Time moves on. I bought it 1999, so I'm close to even. Anyone who bought in 2004/2005 I don't envy.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sandhog,

Mortgage on house decent rate 4.5% fixed, 15 yr. Not worth paying down early - pretty cheap money. If I do have over $1m by 55, still not sure if the $40k will be enough. That's where I'm hoping to have $1.5 m( $60k) by that time. But we all know what the last 10 yrs have been like. I think the real estate(waterfront) will come back but it will be 8-10 yrs away.
That is a great fixed rate. I agreed at that fixed rate I would pay off early either. In couple more years, I got a feeling that we'll be earning at least 5% on savings account which means you are making .5 % from your mortgage. You'll be the one of very few people took advantage of the bank.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Tunnel stiff
Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Tunnel stiff

Hey Sandhog

Do you run a jackleg and carry around a muckstick ?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftymd View Post
Hey Sandhog

Do you run a jackleg and carry around a muckstick ?
Only if we are drilling and blasting. I don't work on the field anymore.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Tunnel Stiff
Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Tunnel Stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
Only if we are drilling and blasting. I don't work on the field anymore.
Nice to see other tunnel stiffs on this site.

I've seen a lot of change in underground construction in the 35+ years I've worked in it. ER'd last year after having worked in DC, Balt, Boston and out west. Moves & travel eventually take a toll....even tho' the pay & satisfaction is there.

All the best
Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome from another metro Detroiter - I live in the fringes out toward AA.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hello from upstate NY.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #14

Travelover,

Let's hope the worst is over for our region(Metro Detroit) and the auto industry. I'd be happy if I didn't lose 10% every yr on my house! Never mind it ever appreciating again, just to stop the hemmoraghing
Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Travelover,

Let's hope the worst is over for our region(Metro Detroit) and the auto industry. I'd be happy if I didn't lose 10% every yr on my house! Never mind it ever appreciating again, just to stop the hemmoraghing
I looked at Zillow yesterday and it claims that my house is worth less than 1/2 of what I paid for it in 1989. I guess I'm not going anywhere for a while.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftymd View Post
Nice to see other tunnel stiffs on this site.

I've seen a lot of change in underground construction in the 35+ years I've worked in it. ER'd last year after having worked in DC, Balt, Boston and out west. Moves & travel eventually take a toll....even tho' the pay & satisfaction is there.

All the best
Yeah, I've been around myself. As I got older, it was getting harder and harder to shape when I didn't get on a gang. Also, there are lots of politics with union when they put their favorite guys on the bellman job. Money was good and did enjoy working but it does take a toll on you. Besides, all that I worked went to my ex-wives anyway so all I have is the memories or hard hats day and wasted nights. (unless I was working either swing and graveyard shifts)

I'm glad you are ER and hopefully enjoying yourself. Be well.