Join Early Retirement Today

48 and forced out
Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

48 and forced out

48 wife around 49 (ok 50 ). She is still working at new job. So Net worth is just over $2 mil ( including home equity of $150,000 ). I feel ok, but not sure. I plan on staying 100% invested for a long time in the stock market.
mjgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. I was eased/forced out around the same time, with no one to provide another income. Good luck to you! 70-80% stocks does almost as well as 100% with a lot less volatility, just something to think about. At the very least, diversify among stocks. 10 years earlier I nearly left on my own, but blew up with the tech bubble burst.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Welcome from someone forced out in April at 47. I think we're going to be fine and it sounds like you may be set more than we are.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Welcome from someone who ran away from work at the end of April at 56.

Enjoy your new found life.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

100% in stocks while in retirement?
I am impressed at your risk tolerance.
hsv_climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv_climber View Post

It would seem more risky to me if the OP's DW was not still working.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv_climber View Post
Over a long time period, stocks always provide the best return
Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Over a long time period, stocks always provide the best return
You might want to rethink this, because average returns can be misleading. It's also important to look at volatility (or variance).

Here's an example: suppose you have $100 invested in the stock market. After year 1, the stock declines by 50%. The next year the stock increases by 100%. After two years, you have $100. But the average return is (-50+100)/2 or 25%. If you had invested the stock in a CD earning 1%/year, you would have (roughly) $102. The average return is only 1%. Yet you've earned more money in the second case.

That's why you'll often see recommendations for something like 60/40 stock/bond portfolios. You trade off returns for less volatility and reduce your risk of running out of money. Other factors also come into play (lack of correlation between stock returns and bond returns, though probably not the case right now).
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post

Here's an example: suppose you have $100 invested in the stock market. After year 1, the stock declines by 50%. The next year the stock increases by 100%. After two years, you have $100. But the average return is (-50+100)/2 or 25%. If you had invested the stock in a CD earning 1%/year, you would have (roughly) $102. The average return is only 1%. Yet you've earned more money in the second case.
I think that securities companies are required to use a geometric average, as opposed to an arithmetic average, in the reporting of their returns. See What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric averages? for further details.

I was at a whole life insurance sales seminar once where the presenter used an arithmetic average similar to make a similar point. I stopped listening at that point.

Otherwise Fred makes excellent points. You might want to read up about "sequence of returns" risk a few years before DW retires also.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Y.....Here's an example: suppose you have $100 invested in the stock market. After year 1, the stock declines by 50%. The next year the stock increases by 100%. After two years, you have $100. But the average return is (-50+100)/2 or 25%. ...
In the situation described the return that would be reported for the 2 years (if it was a mutual fund) would be 0%, not 25%. The one year returns would be -50% and 100%.

But I agree that sequence of returns is important.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #11

Due to the way your original post was worded mjgruber, I'm assuming that you're not so much looking for feedback, as merely introducing yourself. So hello there

I wasn't exactly forced out. My company closed when I was 45 and I was laid off as a result. I do have a very minor part-time gig, but it only provides about 10% of my ER income.

Welcome to the club. I do agree with previous comments regarding volatility of equities. If you are 100% in stocks, perhaps DW's income gives you the psychological protection against the volatility of a 100% equities AA?

Have you run your numbers through any kind of a calculator? Firecalc can be quite useful as a guide for what kind of income to expect.

Anyway, hello and welcome!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

It seems like what is really missing here is how much the OP spends each year.

If you spend $30K a year then you both can retire right now...could have retired 2 years ago.

If you spend $100K, it is going to be tight no matter how high % stocks you own.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
It seems like what is really missing here is how much the OP spends each year.
Unless he was just wanting to share, instead of looking for feedback. There was no specific question in his original post.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Returns
Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Unless he was just wanting to share, instead of looking for feedback. There was no specific question in his original post.
Yes that is correct, annual returns are not calculated by simply adding up annual returns and dividing by the number of years. There is also No 10 year period where stocks did not provide the best return. The Stock Market is a long term deal ( 10 years ), anything short of 5 years is gambling.

Nice to meet you all...Great Website...

In addition to us "Older" folks people in their 20s, 30s, should be on here Just as Much..
Old 08-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgruber View Post

In addition to us "Older" folks people in their 20s, 30s, should be on here Just as Much..
Great. So I just turned 43 and now am lumped in with the "old folks"

At least I still feel sort of young....but have been discussing bowel movements more and more...and actually paused on wheel of fortune while flipping through channels...
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi there. Well, it's never pleasant to be 'forced out', but this could turn in an excellent opportunity to totally re-assess your life for the better. You do have an impressive cushion of money. You have plenty of choices in front of you. Lucky you!

Now since you have plenty of time on your hands, I'd respectfully suggest that you spend some of it analyzing the 100% stocks assumption. As somebody else indicated, just using 75% or 80% stocks would have nearly identical benefits, and would present much less risk. Personally, I do not buy in the 60/40 ideas, as I could never find proper evidence in this respect (and I did a LOT of backtesting!), but 75/25, yes, that I am convinced. But hey, don't take the word of anybody, just do some analysis by yourself (using Firecalc, Excel or whatever), and I'm pretty sure this will be enlightening. My 2 cents!
siamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I think that securities companies are required to use a geometric average, as opposed to an arithmetic average, in the reporting of their returns. See What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric averages? for further details.

I was at a whole life insurance sales seminar once where the presenter used an arithmetic average similar to make a similar point. I stopped listening at that point.

Otherwise Fred makes excellent points. You might want to read up about "sequence of returns" risk a few years before DW retires also.

-gauss
Looks to me that Vanguard, at least, appears to use arithmetic means rather than geometric means. As does Morningstar. Not a lot of transparency about how they calculate this on their Web sites, unfortunately.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Looks to me that Vanguard, at least, appears to use arithmetic means rather than geometric means. As does Morningstar. Not a lot of transparency about how they calculate this on their Web sites, unfortunately.
Oops, switched that -- wanted to say Vanguard (and Morningstar) use *geometric* rather than arithmetic means. Sorry.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamond View Post
As somebody else indicated, just using 75% or 80% stocks would have nearly identical benefits, and would present much less risk. Personally, I do not buy in the 60/40 ideas, as I could never find proper evidence in this respect (and I did a LOT of backtesting!), but 75/25, yes, that I am convinced.
I am scared to hold bond funds. Even individual bonds are putting principle at risk if you dont intend to hold to maturity given the
current interest rate environment and risk of rising rates on QE driven fed action. Risk is to most bond funds that hold a range of maturities and so is it safe to presume the allocation of 25% could be either bonds or cash at this stage.... ?? (a question).

After QE gets pulled off the table, and interest rates rise to a more reasonable long term level (10 year at 4.5% or so) then one could probably justify holding bonds again, agree?
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Carry on
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Carry on

Trying to figure out how the various issues will impact the Market is almost impossible.....My plan is stay invested, dollar cost average into the Market into low cost Mutual Funds....I am confident 5,10, 20 years out, that should be a winning strategy.