Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Welcome to the forum skwoo, hopefully you will pick up some useful information for your transition into ER, there a number of interesting posts on this site.

As for the off-topic subject, annuities can be useful, but only for a very select few amount of people. The number is really so small that it should not be the first thing mentioned to someone, since it requires a very particular set of criteria be met for it to be appropriate for them. Annuities are one of the most expensive (and forcefully pushed) types of investment vehicles pushed by brokers, so people will usually bristle here unless it has been established that something like an annuity would be appropriate in the situation (it usually is appropriate as part of an investment strategy for someone who has a lot of money and not much ability for managing it themselves). The part about not being able to manage it themselves it what will often clash very strongly with this forum (or many other forums) because someone intelligent enough to seek out and research retirement, and have earned a lot of money, are usually within the group who can manage their money, at least to the minimal degree required, without using an annuity.

One example of a possible candidate for an annuity would be a surviving spouse who does not know anything about investing. There would need to be more to it than that, but that would be the type of person who would be more likely to be in need of an annuity for some of their funds.

plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets
Thanks Brewer and Bestwifeever...I appreciate all of your more sales from this

JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have a large pension or other source of income or funds? If not, I'd be quite concerned about your $2M vs. your desired $96k in withdrawals (before taxes?).

You would be retiring at ~50, are married, still have a mortgage and some larger expenses on the way, and it seems you have to plan on say 45-50 years of retirement for one or both of you. You are also rather conservatively invested, which would tend to reduce your long-term returns (though it saved you this recent drop!).

I suspect that something like 3% after paying off your mortgage and college expenses, (e.g. maybe $50-60k) would be o.k.

Grep is offline   Reply With Quote