Join Early Retirement Today

48 with 10 year horizon! hopefully... And an idea for retirment home!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

48 with 10 year horizon! hopefully... And an idea for retirment home!

But - wanting to retire at 58 (when the last of my college bills will be paid).

Current retirement savings in liquid / retirement accounts - 900,000.00.

Investment property $1 million (with debt of 400,000).

College savings - $200,000.00. First kid goes to school couple years, then the next follows, then the third three years later. This will likely be completely depleted by college costs.

Small business value - $6,700,000.00 ($500,000,000 revenue business I own a part of). It's liquid as the buy sell agreement purchases over 5 year period. Can sell at any time. Have sold $1,000,000 already.

My idea is that instead of spending 1-2 million on a retirement home... Why not keep the primary residence and just rent a home in the mountains and a home on the beach for 3 months at a time. Keep the 1 million invested to return 5% a year... Then rent a like property for 6-8k per month (48 k per year for six months living)... Have rooms enough for kids families and visitors, have a great location, but have NO property tax, upkeep, real estate risk, etc.
Months.in.Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Months.in.Wyoming View Post
My idea is that instead of spending 1-2 million on a retirement home... Why not keep the primary residence and just rent a home in the mountains and a home on the beach for 3 months at a time. Keep the 1 million invested to return 5% a year... Then rent a like property for 6-8k per month (48 k per year for six months living)... Have rooms enough for kids families and visitors, have a great location, but have NO property tax, upkeep, real estate risk, etc.
Welcome to the board - from a fellow citizen of the city with the best pizza and frozen custard!

While I'm 13 years behind you on the calendar (and a little farther back on the balance sheet status), I'd always strongly recommend pursuing renting a second/third place for a short stay instead of outright buying it. There are so many additional headaches and expenses with having 2 or 3 places to keep track of, instead of simply showing up, enjoying the place for 4 months, then packing the bags and leaving your worries at the doorstep...real estate taxes, utilities, yard maintenance, constant worry of someone breaking in, insurance costs...and not to mention furnishing a 2nd or even 3rd place! And you can even try out different areas each time if you want, or even try a completely different idea (like a trip/cruise one year) if you wish.

Of course, if you WERE going to buy a place, the current real estate market would be the right time to make that decision - but, unless you happened upon a situation where you could get a home for 10-20 cents on the dollar, it probably wouldn't be that advantageous once you add in all of the expenses and opportunity costs of not investing the money.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

With that amount of $$ you can do almost anything you desire and make several mistakes along the way! Congratulations! Remember the little people :-)
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard, sounds like a great plan!

Our plans are a little more modest, but we've also decided to buy a modest retirement home (much less than we can afford) in an overall effort to keep our fixed expense spending low. If the economy/returns do well or even as we conservatively plan for, our variable expense spending will be pretty high - maybe renting or extended vacations with very nice accomodations.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #5

Sounds like a good plan! Welcome to the forum!
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

After having a 2nd place for a few yrs, and more recently crunching numbers again for myself, gotta agree with MooreBonds. A 2nd home makes no $$ sense for most situations. FWIW- My DW's parents lived in their Midwest home at retirement but visited same area in SW for 2-3mo/yr for 15+yrs. Over the yrs they developed a whole group of "SW friends" & enjoyed much of the social benefit of 2nd home without the financial & bureaucratic hassle.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement home, retirement ideas