51 year old scared of early retirement

sally123

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am a 51 year-old female, and thinking about retirement for the last 10 years. When I was younger, I really liked my job. As I get older I just do not have energy to continue. Financially, my house (~$300K) will be paid off in a year. I own another house (~$300K, paid off) which brings in $1200/mo and various accounts (total ~$500,000.) In my calculation, this is barely enough.

My concern is that my life (friends, activities etc) is so closely tied to work that I am afraid to miss them all. I play piano. I have a dog. I volunteer weekly at soup kitchen. But they are not my passion. I took dance classes, knitting classes etc but did not enjoy. Money is of course a concern. In this economic climate, I do not think I can get my job back once I leave. But then even if I stay, I do not know how long I can hang on to it.

How do you decide when to retire? Some say "retire into something". Do you wait until you find one or things come to you once you retire?

FWIW, I am always thinking of retiring-not too dissimilar situation in some ways. Have come to conclusion, piecing together part-time work, maybe reasssessing every 1-2 years may be how I get to where I will finally be comfortable.

Bob

Whether or not to ER is a personal choice. Knowing whether or not you can afford to is a bit easier. Your question doesn't make it clear if your reluctance to consider it is really due to worry about losing your contacts and social circle, or money, or both. If you can give some more info, say about your annual expenditure, we can perhaps help with the money part.

We retired when we were comfortable that our stash could support the lifestyle we wanted. Use Firecalc, but know that there are not guarantees - you are the only one who can decide if you have enough. We knew there were risks and as luck would have it, what we feared happened in 2008/09 - just months after we quit. We went back to work part-time in early 2010, and are ready to leave the workforce again (I left a while ago, DW leaves in 2 weeks).

We were also comfortable that we had enough interests to keep us engaged and satisfied. We did the usual exercises like listing the 50 things you loved doing, but don't do now; 50 things that you always wanted to do, but never got around to- etc. These exercises help and there are books (see ER FAQ) that address these aspects of retirement.

I would have been uncomfortable taking ER if I had doubts about my ability to fill my time with interesting activities. But, that's just me.

Social interaction seems important to you, so you need to figure out how you will accomplish that. I have missed the extensive social interaction that I got as part of my job, but have learned to live with it, and seldom feel deprived. I do have enough social interaction to make me feel good.

All the best to you. Welcome to the board.

Welcome , I had worked many years in Nursing so my friends were mostly my co-workers so I did worry about the loss of social life . After I retired I joined a gym ( women only ) where I have made many friends . A few of my former co-workers have retired and we do get together at least once a month for an evening out . There will be a life after retirement . It just takes awhile to find your niche . Good Luck !

Some say "retire into something". Do you wait until you find one or things come to you once you retire?
I vegged out for about a year. Then I started looking for volunteer opportunities.

I volunteered at a help center, then later became a volunteer cop. I was a cop for about 9 1/2 years. This work was totally different from what I did during my earning years as I was a numbers cruncher.

You may find that you will reinvent yourself once you have freedom.

When I was younger, I really liked my job. As I get older I just do not have energy to continue. Financially, my house (~$300K) will be paid off in a year. I own another house (~$300K, paid off) which brings in $1200/mo and various accounts (total ~$500,000.) In my calculation, this is barely enough.

My concern is that my life (friends, activities etc) is so closely tied to work that I am afraid to miss them all. I play piano. I have a dog. I volunteer weekly at soup kitchen. But they are not my passion. I took dance classes, knitting classes etc but did not enjoy. Money is of course a concern. In this economic climate, I do not think I can get my job back once I leave. But then even if I stay, I do not know how long I can hang on to it.

How do you decide when to retire? Some say "retire into something". Do you wait until you find one or things come to you once you retire?

Of course, finances are important...but they are not the only thing. Have you run some scenarios on FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator ? Or, as the OP just posted, if you post some of your figures on here, I'm sure the 'regulars' would be willing to give you some feedback.

I can relate to your situation, as many of my social contacts were from work. I retired 3 years ago. I have kept in touch with about 10 former co-workers whom I meet now and then for lunch, an evening get-together, party, etc.

A big question is how to fill your daytime (i.e. former work time) hours? I've been surprised how quickly they fly by. Besides meeting the said former coworkers for lunches, there are oh-so-many things to do like researching stuff on the internet, reading a good book, going for walks, going to the gym, doing a bit of yard work, going to a museum,taking some day trips, going on longer trips in the U.S. and internationally, dancing (I discovered ballroom dancing after retiring), house projects, kayaking, etc. etc. It's sort of like being on an endless vacation.

I discovered Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup and have joined about 30 varied groups...everything from wine tasting to hiking to a book club to yoga. I use it as a social directory...and then pick-and-choose what activity I want to do on a given day. Most are either free or quite inexpensive, so I get to do a lot of things without spending a lot of money.

I can't say that I have "a passion"...but I do have a lot of interests and that's what I amuse myself doing.

omni

BigNick, my total annual expenditure excluding morgage and investiment is $21K. Yes, I am cheap. But this will go up after ER because (1) health insurance (2) computer/internet/office supplies (3) parties and social events (4) shower in the morning, snacks and everything else I have been using at work will have to come from me. (I work at the univeristy). Since I will be spending more time at my home, I will want some improvement and more heating in winter.

But my main concern is social/psychological. None of my friends are planning to retire for a long time. If left alone at my home, I will be depressed after a few days...

Omni, thank you for all the tips. It's nice to know other are finding new activities and social lives. Very encouraging.

As for financial planning, I have been mostly just saving. Taked with a certified financial planner recently. Without knowing exactly when to retire, it is currently allocated to:

Non-qualified variable annuity $120K
Tax sheltered variable annuity $70K
Roth IRA $70K
Traditional IRA $50K
Employer retirement plan $ 160K
Brokage account $7K
Saving/Checking $14K

Plus rental income ($1200) and later social security (~$1500~$2000) will be my income. Actually, running my home has been too much a hustle. I want to move to an apartment and rent out my home, but can not find one that allows grand piano and a dog. I appreciate feedback from "regulars".

Something to think about - you did not say if your lack of energy was due to no longer liking your job, or loss of energy in general. I feel that 51 is awfully young to have noticeably lower energy than you had, say, 10 years ago. If your mental and/or physical energy is low, and it's not just from being fed up with your job, then retirement may not cure the situation.

Just a thought, and not trying to read anything into your post...some of the forum members say they are healthier and have more pep, since leaving the workplace.

Amethyst

I am a 51 year-old female, and thinking about retirement for the last 10 years. When I was younger, I really liked my job. As I get older I just do not have energy to continue.

Amethyst, thank you for reminding me health issue. I have a heart problem (arrythmia) which cardiac cath could not fix. My cardiologist says this type of arrythmia does not kill, but I get easily tired and can not work the way I used to. Physical low energy was follwed by mental low energy. I have been 5' 6'' & 110 lb all my life and otherwise healthy. Just that athletic activities are out.

When I start looking into ER, most info I can find is about money. Glad to hear from folks who can comment other aspects of retirement.

Don't let the what will I do all day bother you. DW and I ESRd three years ago and I am now wondering if I should go back to w*rk to get a break. We are busier than ever as the freedom allows us to schedule more and more things to do and I have a real tendency to over schedule!

you might want to talk to a health Ins agent and see if you can get health ins if you cannot stay on your employer plan. It is not easy to get unless you are in perfect health!

I retired this year in Sept at 50 years old. It was a difficult decision and I can relate to your concerns, Sally123. 90% of my friends are my ex colleagues, I was feeling less committed at work though I did like the interaction with people and something to activate my brain. Improving my health (I have had a number of surgeries) and the fact that I know there is an interesting life during ER, made me decide to ER a couple of years earlier than may be ideal (by my family and friends opinion). I've found a routine I can settle on for my ER. I meet up with my ex colleagues for lunch about twice a week, go to the movies, golf, exercise regularly, volunteer work, read, participate in some forums, travel, cook, take up language classes, etc. I find my time passes so quickly and I enjoy it immensely. Healthwise, I have improved. I sleep enormously better, tone up and built some muscles which helps all those aches and bone density issues, my hair looks shinier, etc. So what more can I say? I don't know how I had the time to go to work in the past and am glad that I ER at 50 to allow myself some healthy years to enjoy ER time. I also found out that there were some things I thought I could do after ER at 50 but because 50 is not 30 or 40, there are limitations of what my physical abilities can handle. But I do not spend too much time regretting that and instead find new things that fit me now. I hope this sharing helps. All the best!

Hi Sally, and welcome to the forum!

When I retired at 57, 20 months ago, I did have a list of things I wanted to do -- genealogy research, golf, travel, work on the house, a little volunteer work. I've done some of each of these, but less than I thought. But I'm as busy as I want to be, and my schedule includes lots of just relaxing, reading, and walking.

My life was really centered on work, but like you I was just getting tired of it. I was worried that I'd get bored and socially isolated. But I decided that those risks would probably increase the longer I waited. It hasn't happened yet.

I think eventually you'll reach the point where the retirement you can imagine looks better than the job you have, and off you'll go. I think you'll know when that time comes.

Coach

But my main concern is social/psychological. None of my friends are planning to retire for a long time. If left alone at my home, I will be depressed after a few days...

Sounds like you will retire when your friends do and not earlier. But are you sure? Have you tried an extended vacation? Will the university let you take 3 or more months off w/o pay? If so, you might want to give a try.

Welcome, btw.

(4) shower in the morning, ...
That's funny. I just did a extremely complex calculation to estimate the cost of a shower at home. Here in Houston, the result is 10 cents/shower, so I don't think it's going to make a big difference in your before and after retirement budget.

Welcome Sally.

To me, it sounds as though you are perhaps not ready to retire, but are perhaps burnt out at your current job. Although you did mention some physical issues, could it also be that you are just tired of doing the same ol', same ol', day in and day out, with no change of scenery, responsibilities and challenges? Could it be that you need a sabbatical, or a career change?

That's just some stuff to think about. Someone earlier mentioned Ernie Zelinski's book. I think you should read that but also Bob's (can't remember his last name) book "work less, live more" about using semi retirement as a way to keep a hand in the game (support yourself financially) but have the time to do more of what yup want to do. I have been planning to punch out at the end of 2012, but certain circumstances are beginning to come together such that I may be able to do just that at the end of 2012 instead... my hand in the game, but have much greater control over my own time.

Good luck. Stick around, and let us know how it goes.

R

One thing to keep in mind is that although we tend to have lots of opinions confidently expressed, they are not necessarily worth much to you or any other individual.

Listen most carefully to your own inner self, unless of course some glaring financial hole in your proposed program was discovered.

Ha

One thing to keep in mind is that although we tend to have lots of opinions confidently expressed, they are not necessarily worth much to you or any other individual.

Listen most carefully to your own inner self, unless of course some glaring financial hole in your proposed program was discovered.

+1

Welcome Sally - My wife ER'd a year ago, your same age, and it took her about 6 months to transition to her new routine (near full time volunteer at a program for Christian women coming out of prison) but once she settled in she was so very happy. Now she just enrolled in a master gardener program thru a local university's extension program. She's a busy bee that's for sure.

I've never see her so happy and relaxed!

Welcome Sally123!

I am five years older than you, widowed, still working and delaying retirement as much of my present social life revolves around work and work friends. I think your concerns are common to many of us. If I had any health issues, or if my job were stressful, or if I had any pressing family needs, believe me, I would retire. I live less than ten minutes from my office and have regular hours with no evening or week-end job demands so I really can't complain. The paid health benefits and the padding of my pension help to get me out of bed in the morning, and I find I like the structure of having somewhere to go Monday through Friday.

It sounds to me that you have a lot of interests and would have no trouble keeping busy. Good luck in your decision making.

You are not alone, I am 56 and stuck in the same dilemma. Everyone goes through what you're experiencing, though some more acutely than others.

I would also strongly recommend some Zelinkski and Clyatt books - they speak directly to your situation. You have to listen to yourself above all, as others have said.

There will always be a sliver of a question even if you delay 10 more years, also pointed out. But at some point you'll be comfortable with it.

And I can only add, if it doesn't work out the worst thing that could happen would be you have to go back to work, which is what you would have been doing all along anyway (stolen from Jacob Fisker).

You will still have options, you are not jumping off a cliff - best of luck, I know the feeling well.

Ha

I've noticed over the years on the forum and after my own retirement that what people do is all over the map.

Some are loathe to ever be committed to ever having to show up for work on time ever again. That's where I was for the first few years. For a guy who started working mowing lawns at age 13 the novelty of "Wow, all I have to do is keep breathing and they send me money every month!" was euphoric.

Some already had a long list of "stuff to do" and were chomping at the bit to get to it.

Some planned from the outset to either change careers, work part time at something entirely different, or just take up space.

Some are more laid-back and just thought "I'll figure it out when I get there" and I suppose that's about where I was. The first year and a half or so was just a long vacation and DW and I both had a hazy notion of getting part time jobs. Eventually.

The point is, there is nothing "wrong" with any of those options or any other option. Do what fits you. But have faith that you'll find it.

So for now I have a full-time job that was originally intended to be part-time, but that's OK because I still have the option of going part-time or not at all. The bulk of the "extra" income is going to savings to be spent later, which some may say is overly optimistic because it assumes there will be a "later".

In light of events like the local four-fatal car accident that happened yesterday I do think about that from time to time.

As in so many other things "You pays your money and takes your chances".

I am a 51 year-old female, and thinking about retirement for the last 10 years. When I was younger, I really liked my job. As I get older I just do not have energy to continue. Financially, my house (~$300K) will be paid off in a year. I own another house (~$300K, paid off) which brings in $1200/mo and various accounts (total ~$500,000.) In my calculation, this is barely enough.

Well, barely enough sounds like enough to me.:D

Have you taken the time to really figure out how much you anticipate pending in retirement? How much does it cost you to go to work? How much are you now contributing to your savings and will you need to continue that? Will you be downsizing your house, car, etc.? My favorite read on that subject is "Your Money or Your Life" You may find out you will spend much less. Of course, if your passion turns out to be extensive travel or collecting vintage sports cars, you might spend more.

Ha

I totally agree. Only you know what you want your retirement to be. It can be scary, but not like really scary. Where there is a will, there is a way. I would suggest you might want to look inside yourself and think about what it is you really want to do with your life, even if what comes to mind seems crazy or impossible. We all get programmed into a certain lifestyle and our upbringing, friends, culture, etc. all conspire to kind of keep us in a box. My favorite read on that is " How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free".

I've noticed over the years on the forum and after my own retirement that what people do is all over the map.

Some are loathe to ever be committed to ever having to show up for work on time ever again. That's where I was for the first few years. For a guy who started working mowing lawns at age 13 the novelty of "Wow, all I have to do is keep breathing and they send me money every month!" was euphoric.

Some already had a long list of "stuff to do" and were chomping at the bit to get to it.

Some planned from the outset to either change careers, work part time at something entirely different, or just take up space.

Some are more laid-back and just thought "I'll figure it out when I get there" and I suppose that's about where I was. The first year and a half or so was just a long vacation and DW and I both had a hazy notion of getting part time jobs. Eventually.

The point is, there is nothing "wrong" with any of those options or any other option. Do what fits you. But have faith that you'll find it.

Even in retirement people tend to want to build little boxes to dwell in and sort others into. On another forum there was a discussion about what retirement really was. One guy in particular insisted that if you worked for money, you weren't retired. I countered that what if your dream was to retire and open a bistro, you worked 80 hours a week and loved every minute of it and you barely made any money because that wasn't the point. He said no, you wouldn't be retired.:nonono:

I say that only to point out that on forums, or talking with your friends, family and coworkers, be wary of people telling you what you should do or shouldn't do. I read a lot of blogs written by full-time RVers and many of them talk about how their kids and friends are horrified by the prospect of chucking it all and living in an RV. Obviously, they all did it anyway. You need to do what's right for you. If people tell you getting a job in retirement or living in an RV or on a sailboat, for instance, means you're not retired, ignore them. Do what's right for your. You get one life, make the most of it by pursuing your dreams no matter what other people think.

This thread is interesting because I have a bit different outlook. For the past 15 years I've been a telecommuter, so I have had zero social interaction with coworkers. I am looking forward to ER'ing next year so that I can spend less time down in the basement by myself all day.

Good luck on your decision

You are all awesome! You are right that I am asking when to get out of a rat race so I can start a life for myself. At age 51, I deserve it, yes? If possible, I want to stay at my job part-time, working much more slowly. Happy with less income.

I just online reserved three Zelinski books and a Clyatt book at the local public library.

Back
Top Bottom