Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

51 year old semi retired accountant
Old 03-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
gone traveling

51 year old semi retired accountant

Married 15 years 2 kids 12 and 14. Condo in NYC, homes in Long Island and Poconos. Planning on buying another home in Gainesville FL next year and sending kids to UF. Would like to retire this year or next. Would love to hear from anyone in my age category that has retired in Florida with 2+MM in liquid assets.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Planman and welcome to the forum. I'm 47 and semi-retired. We live in Illinois but have a house in the "Space Coast" region of Florida. Once our two teenagers are finally off to college, we'll be moving to the beachhouse. Not sure if we'll do the snowbird thing and keep a condo in Chicago or just head south permanently. Or, we might sell our Chicago home and buy a second home in Colorado or elsewhere in order to escape the Florida summers.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
gone traveling

I do a lot of time sharing in FLA now so I hit Orlando quite often. I'm planning on buying into the Florida prepaid plan for both kids next year. I have a friend who retired at 55 living in Palm Beach Gardens, Frenchmans Reserve and he is going crazy as the place is nothing but 70 up and they all go to sleep in the afternoon. How is the space coast ?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
How is the space coast ?
Ever hear about Kennedy Space Center or Cape Canaveral? Hehehe

As a central Floridian, I am sworn to help keep it secret, but it is kinda hard with to do with the rocket launches and tourists always around.

More seriously, last launch a couple of weeks ago was a SpaceX rocket at night and it was spectacular to watch from the backyard.
DrBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrisket View Post
Ever hear about Kennedy Space Center or Cape Canaveral? Hehehe

As a central Floridian, I am sworn to help keep it secret, but it is kinda hard with to do with the rocket launches and tourists always around.

More seriously, last launch a couple of weeks ago was a SpaceX rocket at night and it was spectacular to watch from the backyard.
Yes, our house is on Cape Canaveral and so we can watch the rocket launches from our deck.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I do a lot of time sharing in FLA now so I hit Orlando quite often. I'm planning on buying into the Florida prepaid plan for both kids next year. I have a friend who retired at 55 living in Palm Beach Gardens, Frenchmans Reserve and he is going crazy as the place is nothing but 70 up and they all go to sleep in the afternoon. How is the space coast ?
The Space Coast is much less "discovered" as a retirement destination than Orlando, The Villages, the Gulf Coast, etc. There are definitely a lot of snow birds and retirees but it is much more "real" Florida, aka the Redneck Riviera (though I live in Illinois, I'm a native Floridian and so know a thing or two about rednecks. :-)).

If you are an outdoorsman, this is the place to be, with the ocean, lakes, and the ICW waterways. The cost of living is very affordable. But, it doesn't offer the glitz of areas like Miami, Palm Beach, Naples, etc.

For me, though, being in Florida means being near the water. I wouldn't live inland.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd be more concerned with properties in Long Island and the Poconos. Liquid assets or a new house in Gainesville, FL seem safe by comparison.

Friends and family members in NYC suburbs beyond a few favored commuter towns seem beset with high waters, falling values, and crazy taxes. These areas seem to be falling out of favor quickly.

Sounds like you're in a good position in any case, though. Enjoy!
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Florida living is much calmer than NY living, both NYC and LI (I have lived in all three). If you like calm, FL is nice and there is plenty to do, but you have to take the initiative. In NYC, you pretty much just walk outside and you're in it. I grew up in LI and now it's pretty congested. Gainesville must have a lot to do - it's pretty built up. Money stretches much further in FL than NY, and not just because there is no state tax: there also is no winter and all of the expenses that go with it.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
gone traveling

Thanks for your welcome and input. All my real estate is owned free and clear. I am keeping condo in NYC for my two boys once they graduate College as moving back to the city is probably required if they wish to get some experience in accounting and or law. Gainesville does not thrill me, but I suspect I will need housing in area for at least 10 years if boys do a 3/2 accounting or law program in UF. Have a friend in Frenchmans Reserve Palm Beach Gardens but not for me to expensive and not my crowd. Anyone in Sarasota area on the board or West Coast of florida that represents a good value with access to water, beach and some close entertainment. ?
Old 03-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're in Sarasota. I golfed this morning but took a nap this afternoon so definitely not a desirable area.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks for your welcome and input. All my real estate is owned free and clear. I am keeping condo in NYC for my two boys once they graduate College as moving back to the city is probably required if they wish to get some experience in accounting and or law. Gainesville does not thrill me, but I suspect I will need housing in area for at least 10 years if boys do a 3/2 accounting or law program in UF. Have a friend in Frenchmans Reserve Palm Beach Gardens but not for me to expensive and not my crowd. Anyone in Sarasota area on the board or West Coast of florida that represents a good value with access to water, beach and some close entertainment. ?
What if your kids don't want to go to UF or work in law or accounting in NYC? One of them isn't even a teenager yet.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
What if your kids don't want to go to UF or work in law or accounting in NYC? One of them isn't even a teenager yet.
I had the same reaction. "Man plans and God laughs," as they say.

But, regardless of whether the kids have any interest in UF when the time comes, or in accounting or law, there's nothing wrong with living in Gainesville and having a condo in NYC, if that's you like and can afford it.
medved is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida