55 and getting ready to be FIREd...

footenote

Recycles dryer sheets
Like gozer, I'm on "final approach" and balancing excitement with nervousness.

I'm 55, DH is 62. We have $2k per month in steady passive income from a software-as-a-service we own, plus dividends we could start taking as income (vs reinvesting). Totally portfolio is $1mm, no kids and no need or desire to leave an estate to anyone. Both FinancialMentor and FIREcalc = green light for the spending level we are at today. (Even with current, too-big house.)

I dumped out of a really crappy job two weeks ago and expect to consult for the next year or two while we work our way through the downsize and relo. We'll be on COBRA in the short term (unless I land at one of the consultancies that offer bennies) and are interested to see how ACA works out.

I should also mention I'm rather hyper and DH would ultimately go crazy if I were home all-day-every-day. So after we have downsized and relocated I'm going to be looking for a pleasant, low-stress PT position. (Perhaps even seasonal as we're looking at moving to a resort area.) I anticipate with a small, paid-for house and car, we will "nibble" on our assets very lightly for the early years of "ER."

Excited to be here!

I should also mention I'm rather hyper and DH would ultimately go crazy if I were home all-day-every-day.

This sound familiar. I have many community/charity activities to keep me busy and out of the house. It is good for both of us.

Back
Top Bottom