Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Greetings everyone!

Update - upon further reflection realized that while I have reached the point where I could retire, I haven't reached the point where I want to retire. Yes, I would love to leave the job today, but I didn't work this hard and this long to live on a shoestring. My job has been intolerable for a while now but it is high-paying and I can save quite a bit if I just hang in for a while longer.

Game plan - know that I could leave at any time as I have an adequate safety net. Goal though is to shoot for the retirement I have worked all of these years to have - estimated retirement year depending on savings rate, performance of investments etc. to reach that goal is 2016 (age 58.) Not bad. If it happens that I can't make it that far, every week I work and save will add a few more dollars to my monthly retirement income.

Thanks all for your valuable input and I will continue to read and participate here. I am psychologically ready to retire. My wallet needs to get on the same page!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase3 View Post
Update - upon further reflection realized that while I have reached the point where I could retire, I haven't reached the point where I want to retire. Yes, I would love to leave the job today, but I didn't work this hard and this long to live on a shoestring. My job has been intolerable for a while now but it is high-paying and I can save quite a bit if I just hang in for a while longer.
You've probably thought of this, but I was in a similar situation years ago. It depends on the job, but there's always plenty of work to do so it's was to let the days fly by without stepping back to take stock of your situation. I got fed up despite high pay and top performance ratings, but I took stock of what I liked to do, what I didn't like and what long and short term goals I wanted to accomplish before I left.

I ended up recharged by some of the new goals/challenges I gave myself.

And I delegated some of my former work among Dept Mgrs - though I'm NOT advocating simply dumping undesirable tasks to others AT ALL - I have no respect for managers who do that. When I looked at some of the tasks in terms of developing/broadening others, there were some changes I could make that we're win-win. My successor benefitted, and so did others.

I could go on and on, but taking a broader view of your job and making some manageable changes can make it more interesting for you, and maybe others. And improve your/their output and/or development.

A few years later it really for old for me again, and I knew it was time to go. Fortunately I was well past FI, as it appears you'll be too. FWIW. Best of luck...no reply necessary.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks Midpack. I really appreciate your suggestions and support. I have been working hard at a new attitude - I recognize that I am near the end of my career and I have attained the level where I can delegate/reconfigure etc. The job isn't what it used to be but of course that's the nature of life - change - and I am working hard at embracing the new paradigm and making it doable for the next few years. There is a new younger person above me who is making life miserable for many as he would prefer, I think, to have a bunch of malleable youngsters working for him but instead has a range of folks in their late 30's to early sixties. There are about 9 of us who are 54 and up who really aren't taking too well to the new order and the new person, who is not only new to the job but new to the company.

I think we all feel that he would like for as many of us to retire as possible, so the style is micro-management until one by one we scream uncle. I was about ready to scream/pull the plug but I'll be damned if I am going to do it until I am ready to have the retirement I have worked toward for so long. I am close but not there yet!

So - one day at a time, try to stay flexible and do what I need to do to make it palatable and to also feel that I am contributing meaningfully - important to me.

Thanks so much.