Join Early Retirement Today

55 and the living is easy ...
Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

55 and the living is easy ...

I retired about five months ago from the public school system. That being said I am ready to start on my own learning adventures. I am anxious to travel the world. At least to the places I can afford. Thankfully my husband has a better pensioin than I do. I took a big loss on my pension by leaving early - but sometines you have to say enough and start living the life you want. I am anxious to hear about the places other retirees are traveling to and things that are keeping them busy.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome ,
I'm also a traveler but with Europe so expensive now I'm sticking closer to home .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're a pretty busy bunch around here. Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #4

I completely agree that Europe is too expensive right now. We went in May to Germany , Austria, Switzerland and northern Italy - sought of a reitrement gift to myself - but everything was very expensive. When we planned the trip prices weren't that high and then it didn't pay to cancel so we just bit the bullet and went. We really had a great time as long as we didn't think about the dollar/euro conversion rate. That will have to satisfy me on Europe for a while. But it was worth it...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi "The Wanderer"! I too am retired and in my case too, I left with a 'package' at age 53 - which greatly reduced (by more than 1/2) by retirement annuity, but did give my DH and I paid medical for life....so I jumped on it and left the first day they'd let me go. I'm with you...enough is enough...life is too short. My DH is still working but plans to 'retire' in the near future. Neither of us have a traditional pension, but we've saved and if the stock market doesn't completely fall apart, we should be fine. We're of the same mind as you about traveling. In a few weeks we'll be flying to Athens for a cruise in the Med. and will see alot of places we've wanted to go to for awhile. Almost every day is a port day so we'll be seeing alot of highlights of different cities and cultures. Right now it seems that 'cruising' is about the most cost effective way to go - when you consider how little the US$ is worth over there. We've paid almost everything upfront and in US$....the per day cost is terrific. We've driven France, Britian, Scotland and Ireland in the past...and loved it. We're hoping to go back to France. But I'll tell you, with the price of gasoline in Europe, you can't beat cruising right now...and seeing alot of great ancient sites. If you haven't already, take a look at Discount Cruises, Last Minute Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Line, Cruise Vacation - its a site I look at when adding to our 'bucket list'. Its one of many of the same type with good info on their message boards. Next year we're thinking of going to the Edinburgh Festival, especially to see the Tatoo....but agree that travelling in Britian is expensive!! Happy Travels!
itsmyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
I took a big loss on my pension by leaving early - but sometines you have to say enough and start living the life you want.
You won't get an argument on this forum!

Welcome.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #7

I agree with you on the value of cruising. I have been looking at European cruises but we have already booked a Panama Canal Cruise for March. We would really love to go to Australia next year but are worried about the plane trip (length). Right now all destinatiions are open for consideration next year. So if anyone has any suggestions I am more than happy to listen.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I agree with you on the value of cruising. I have been looking at European cruises but we have already booked a Panama Canal Cruise for March. We would really love to go to Australia next year but are worried about the plane trip (length). Right now all destinatiions are open for consideration next year. So if anyone has any suggestions I am more than happy to listen.
Where from? I flew from Melbourne (or was it Sydney...can"t remember now) to SFO and was in the plane for about 17 hours. It was bearable in business class, but I struggle with economy on anything over a few short hours. I usually fly business on megacorp's dime, but I was on a private trip flying to Tokyo a few weeks back (from west coast), and the 10.5 hours was a killer.

Australia is a great place with lots of great people. You will find the exchange rate right now is not favorable, though.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #9

We would be flying from New York City to probably Sidney. We plan to spend at least 3 weeks in Australia. My husband's family is from the Melbourne area - Altoona. His parents married after WWII his father an American GI, his mom Australian they settled there and had four children. They came back to America after his grandfather died. Have been here a long time so aren't sure if there are any relatives still around there. We want to spend some time down there. Australia is such a big country I'm sure that isn't enough time but we want to see as much as we can. Like I said the flight is the big problem. I am afraid to price business class.:confused: May have to come out of retirement to pay for it.

itsmyparty - have a great Med cruise and let me know how you enjoyed it.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I don't know what your tastes and preferences for vacations are, but with the weak US$ being a problem, look for countries which peg, or closely link their currencies to the US$. That way the appararent exchange rates and converted costs won't seem so excessive. Off the top of my head, Hong Kong, China (partly), the UAE, Malaysia and Brunei (on Borneo) and Singapore (I think?) all peg/track to the US$ and would each offer interesting and diverse vacations. I am sure plenty of Caribbean and Central / South American destinations peg also.

Just a thought.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #11

Welcome to the group Wanderer! Hope you enjoy the Forum and your trip to Australia.
Steeliestlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
We would be flying from New York City to probably Sidney. We plan to spend at least 3 weeks in Australia. My husband's family is from the Melbourne area - Altoona. His parents married after WWII his father an American GI, his mom Australian they settled there and had four children. They came back to America after his grandfather died. Have been here a long time so aren't sure if there are any relatives still around there. We want to spend some time down there. Australia is such a big country I'm sure that isn't enough time but we want to see as much as we can. Like I said the flight is the big problem. I am afraid to price business class.:confused: May have to come out of retirement to pay for it.
Welcome to the Forum.

We've had 2 vacations in Australia, each over 3 weeks long and had a fantastic time both occaisions. We have good friends and relatives in the Brisbane and Sydney area plus my brother lives about 3 hours inland from the East coast, just inside the tropic of Capricorn. Next trip there is planned in 2012 all being well - hope to have 6 months "down under" this time and include a trip to NZ.