Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thanks NW-Bound! Been here a few weeks and have already learned a lot.

I'm spending time getting my ducks together, understanding the big issues and have learned stuff like:
  • Health care: eligible for MegaCorp's plan in 3 months "at cost", but have discovered that obtaining my own similar -- if I qualify -- might be significantly cheaper. I think this is due to the fact I'm not in MegaCorp's home state, which is a known Super High Cost state, whereas we are in a more cost friendly state. It comes down to pre-existing conditions, but learned here about rule changes 2014.
  • Expenses: working on charting my expense history so I know my required SWR. Also, do we want to spend more (travel?) during ER.
  • Investing: never heard of stuff like peer to peer lending till I came here. Intriguing, but probably not my thing.
  • It isn't just money. It is living life to its fullest.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Welcome Joe and thanks for the most recent update. Not yet retired, me and spouse are essentially same age as you/spouse but have 3 kids. The latter changes the dynamics from the DINKers. I had to laugh at your initial post b/c my wife and I met in grad school and had the same exact brand and model 13 inch black and white tv, yes that's right black and white; oh man we were both frugal. I guess this was a sign. Anyway 23 years of marriage later, she is retired and I hopefully am on the "five year plan". As you have already discovered this is an awesome site with loads of helpful information. Thanks for sharing your story and good luck.

This is no social crisis, just another tricky day for you...
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
Originally Posted by JoeWras
I haven't even factored the house in the networth, or consider it any kind of investment. We love the place, but it is for us, and that may mean still using those chairs and table from 1986. We're happy. It looks fine, not crappy, just maybe a wee bit outta style. So it goes.
Those folks who prefer to carry a mortgage - and there are some on this board - tend to be the same people who insist that the value of (the equity in) one's home should properly be included in one's net worth calculation. Pretty ironic, really.

Like you, I prefer the KISS principle over creative accounting: so our mortgage was paid off within a very short time, and I never consider the house in my financials.

Old furniture is not crappy if it has been decently maintained. If anything, it is likely much better quality than the new stuff. While the saying "they don't build things like they used to" is not universally accurate, it does tend to be true of furniture.
"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
Besides our recent mattress purchase, the last furniture purchase was 1999. At that time, the factory goofed up and actually installed the wrong fabric pattern on a few panels of the couch.

The Lane company, to their credit, made it right and had a master upholsterer come out and fix it. Amazing work. And it got me thinking... Some day, I just may hire this guy to re-upholster this piece instead of buying new. Not there yet, but in a few years, I'll explore that idea, especially since the frame and mechanism are holding up well.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Hi Joe,

Similar life style for us. We also paid the mortgage off early. We hemmed and hawed for years as everyone says to keep it for tax deduction. However if I'd known the psychological advantage of having it gone I'd done it a long time ago. I think where you and I, and some others are, is due to a lifetime of good decision making. We never bought something we couldn't pay for and that included a house that we could see when and how we'd pay it off.

I also liked my furniture when I bought it, otherwise I wouldn't have paid anything for it no matter how cheap it was. Doesn't bother me that some of the fine wood pieces came from garage sales.

Sun456 is offline   Reply With Quote