Join Early Retirement Today
55 yr old moving south of the border
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
55 yr old moving south of the border

Hello everybody, i am planing on moving to mexico within the next 2 years but am curious as to other spanish speaking countries where the dollar and quality of life is high. Has anyone a location in mind?

markydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
gone traveling
To me "south of the border" is anything below the Mason-Dixon line

I speak a little French (understand much more than I can speak).

Of course, living close to NYC (same state as you) I probably should learn a bit of Spanish

Good luck to you...

rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
And to a Canadian, in Northern California, I'm way "south of the border."

Welcome to the forum, markydoc, could you make it financially if you retired in place?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
markydoc, here are a couple of threads that may interest you:

Ecuador impressions

Retiring to Central America
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Actually, "spanish speaking " and "south of the border" begin where Palm Beach and Broward Counties meet in Southeast Florida. Quality if life is high but I'm not sure about the future of the US$ there.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think you have to tell us why you are moving. Uruguay has a great climate except for August. It is at the latitude of Capetown and Sidney. Not bilingual though.
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
There is a lot of great Mexico information on Billy and Akaisha Kaderli's web site:

Retire Early Lifestyle

They sell a web book about living in the Lake Chapala area, which is probably the most popular retirement area in Mexico for North American retirees. I can definitely recommend it. It is worth reading now, during your knowledge acquisition process and can help you plan a trip.

Both how well you speak Spanish and how well you plan to speak Spanish within a period of 1 year after moving will help determine your range of suitable locations. Also, whether you are getting some kind of pension that would qualify for a visa. Thanks to cheaper air tickets, Mexico is not even necessarily the "closest" Latin American location to Philadelphia, considering costs and travel time.

I am writing this from Medellin, Colombia which I think should be on the map for many retirees. Perhaps ironically, I would consider it safer than many retirement locations in Mexico and Latin America. But I can't get a visa to stay more than 180 days per year since I don't have a pension, wife, business, or $200K+ property.

kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe
Other than Mexico, the places I've come across in my readings are:

* Costa Rica
* Panama
* Nicaragua (visited there in the 80s - I'm sure it's much different now)

As I understand it, each of these has expat communities, though I suspect Nicaragua's is the newest and smallest.

When reading your post I immediately thought of Belize, where English is spoken, but a quick Google search reveals folks dissuading expats from going there.

ncaraway is offline   Reply With Quote