Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

58 yrs of age retiring on 9/30/15 after downsizing from lake home
Old 07-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

58 yrs of age retiring on 9/30/15 after downsizing from lake home

We are not rich but with careful attention to expenses we should be fine...no debts, about $1.2M. I want my husband to retire when I do and he probably will. We sold our home on the lake with acreage a couple years ago and are now enjoying the city life....walking just about everywhere. Though I have been managing our investments for quite a while, we have been thinking about using Vanguard Personal Advisory Service to get advice and be less hands on. Anyone on here use them?
Jackietime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on your pending retirement. You're very fortunate to live in a city with very inexpensive housing--where you can actually retire at a reasonable age and keep your current standard of living. (We left Atlanta 10 years ago after overdosing on rush hour traffic.)

I cannot help you with Vanguard. I have an advisor at Fidelity in Sandy Springs, and he's been of no help to me. I finally bought a bunch of ETF's through Fidelity to cut the commission to 1/6th of what my mutual are costing me. I still feel paying a CFP without any interest in commissions would be a better option.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not sure if you are aware of this but if you have $1mm or more with Vanguard, you can get an free portfolio review by a Vanguard cfp. Can get areview done by them once a year.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a twist because we just retired and moved from metro Atlanta to a lake house.

No direct experience with Vanguard Personal Advisory Service but I have heard good things about them. They are one of the few advisory services I would trust. I have a "if I get hit by a bus" letter for my wife and they are the advisory service I have in the letter to use in case I'm suddenly no longer around.

I don't know if Vanguard is still giving the free financial plans with assets over 1 mil or not. There was talk of them going away. Would not hurt to give a call and find out.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations on your retiring soon.

I have had my funds with Vanguard (since 1989) but I have not used their Personal Advisory Service. Generally speaking, I have a very high opinion of Vanguard (the company) and consider them trustworthy. YMMV.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe that Vanguard has done away with the free financial plan.

You can check the Bogleheads forum for some input on Vanguard's Advisory Services.

You could try a fee-based planner for a check-up and then use a target date fund at Vanguard. It might work out cheaper.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes_to_Lurk View Post
I believe that Vanguard has done away with the free financial plan.

You can check the Bogleheads forum for some input on Vanguard's Advisory Services.

You could try a fee-based planner for a check-up and then use a target date fund at Vanguard. It might work out cheaper.
If you are a Flagship Client (more than $1mm) then you can get a free checkup. We expect to see our results from our first checkup early next week. This will be some sort of software generated plan. We will review it for 10 days and then get back and talk with the FP. So far there is no pressure to use their managed services.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

we used our Vanguard CFP (free as we had over $1M with Vanguard) as we transitioned from our percentage based planner. I really appreciated the plan and the discussion as I was just getting my feet wet. It wasn't rocket science and was consistent with what Vanguard recommends on their site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jabbahop, I was wondering about doing that too. We are Vanguard Flagship and have been assigned a guy to call. I haven't done a plan with them yet because I like picking my own investments. What we could use help with is tax optimization, which I don't think they cover. However, I would like to learn if I'm wrong about that or if they have other valuable services I'm missing out on, like estate planning, insurance advice, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for responding to my question about Vanguard's PAS (Personal Advisory Service).

The following info may help someone interested in obtaining a financial plan from Vanguard with under $1M in assets in Vanguard funds.

We have the majority of our funds in Fidelity (company 401K) so we don't have $1M in Vanguard yet... BUT we called about the PAS, set up an appt with an advisor, spoke with her for at least 45 minutes and our financial plan will be ready this Friday for our review and another phone consultation next week. We have no obligation to sign up for PAS (which by the way has a very low cost of .3% of portfolio for active management). Our advisor even told us that when we transfer the money from Fidelity (after I turn 59 1/2), we can have a dedicated CFP to help us with our plan. Until $1M is reached, there is a pool of advisors that may or may not be certified.. but if not ..very close to obtaining certification. Sounds like a Win-Win to me. .

I'll write back after we review the plan with more thoughts.

Best regards!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Markola,
According to their website, Vanguard's advisors do help with tax optimization. Our advisor also confirmed this.
https://investor.vanguard.com/financ...ncial-planning
Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks Jackietime. I'll look at the service more closely.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Vanguard Financial Engines
Old 07-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Vanguard Financial Engines

Vanguard also offers its Financial Engines link to Flagship clients at no charge and that may be as good as its advisory services.

I wasn't impressed with the free financial plan that I received under the old Flagship benefit. I didn't seem any more personalized than the various online plans that once can obtain.
RoyDornoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:33 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Psssst! unclemick, can you help us out here?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

We had our review with the Vanguard advisor. We were pleased with the plan and level of service. We may decide to sign up for the managed service after we roll over the 401k. I'm glad we checked it out.

Tags
downsize, vanguard.