Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
Kitesurfer2, et all:

Re the TSP, the five investment options are a terrible joke. When I retired, at the earliest moment, I rolled by TSP money out to a private IRA type account.

Run a web search for “checkbook IRA” for ideas of what your TSP money could be doing for you.
So if I understand my studies on this matter correctly, You are now a corporation and hold yearly corp. meetings and the things that go hand in hand with that. Your "corporate business" is now your IRA management. How do you know that you are not running amok of the rules that the government has in place for this type of activity? I.E. legalities. Do you keep a lawyer on retainer? And there by write that expense off as a buz expense? Seems like a good thing at first glance, then on second hand, may be chock full of pitfalls.
Plus the management (custodian) fees (do you pay yourself to manage this IRA?) and rollover costs tap you 4% just for the pleasure?. Then the managers take their yearly tap on YOUR funds irregardless of their performance....loss or gain no matter...they still tap your IRA for their "cut"? then they all say
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results"! BAH Pshaw!

I am like you however, and do not place blind trust in the TSP's ability to guard and keep my life savings. They have already tapped it X2 to keep the government functional. Grrrrr (they did not even ask!)
Sorry for the rant

1vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm personally pretty well satisfied with my TSP and the investment choices therein. Not as much with the fewer withdrawal options, but I expect that to get better, and I haven't begun any withdrawals yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
-John F. Kennedy

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
I need to draw down my TSP to insure my lifestyle maintenance. BUT
if It actually turns out that I don't then I will move it into another arena
where the rules are easier to co-exist with.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado
This^^ plus the dollar amount to keep me within an acceptable tax bracket. I cannot take a lump sum because 200K+ income for one year is a party for the IRS. So I may develop a strategy to withdraw say $3K a month to quickly remove my money from the auspices of the government and assume control for myself. (I would be interested to hear from others in similar circumstance) The framework of TSP rules are pretty constrictive with MY money.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
There are no custodial fees to manage my IRA (formerly TSP) or rollover fees of 4%? I don't know where you found that nonsense. I rolled my TSP into a self directed IRA at Schwab. No cost. Every penny I had in TSP arrived in my IRA. I manage my investment and bought low cost ETFs. I could have purchased a few funds with low cost (TSP level) but I opted to diversify so I pay a couple dollars more annually then I'd have paid to TSP. But I figure my diversification will give me better returns over time more than making up difference.. The only thing I miss is the G fund guaranteed return, but I think the Congress is about to squash that apple.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Kaufmanrider is offline   Reply With Quote