90 days to go!!

scubamonkey

Recycles dryer sheets
Yep my nickname at work is now "Shortimer".

I bet I am asked, at least once a day, What am I going to do when I retire? I am amazed as how work can define you - especially by people who only know how to work. I don't even try to answer with what my plans really are - (and it ain't work!)

What are some humorous comebacks to the "What are you going to do?" question?

Yep my nickname at work is now "Shortimer".

I bet I am asked, at least once a day, What am I going to do when I retire? I am amazed as how work can define you - especially by people who only know how to work. I don't even try to answer with what my plans really are - (and it ain't work!)

What are some humorous comebacks to the "What are you going to do?" question?

I get this all the time, quitting in April, what will you do? Why? You will be bored. I think this comes from folks that cannot approach where we are for a decade or more. I find it somewhat irritating, i do not need to justify my future to anyone. Tell em to take another lap on their corvette, boat, atv or second home that they cannot afford!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I am beginning to think from the response of lots of people, that they really cannot understand the concept of retirement. That's ok, it just seems odd.

Time>money

I think a lot of people would say;

Time=money

Various responses I've used in the past in response to the "What are you going to do?" question:

• Nothing.
  • Enjoy life!
  • Whatever I feel like at the moment. (This seems to "hit home" often.)
  • Chase guys. (I'm a single lady.)
  • Travel.
  • Work on my bucket list.
  • Be an investment manager. (Often said to people I don't know)
  • Work to stay in shape and in good health to live for a long time, thereby maximizing what I get from the pension fund.
  • etc.
omni

Someone on another forum answered when a poster asked "what do people who have no hobbies do when retired?"
Mon Nothing
Tues Nothing
Wed Nothing
Thu Nothing
Fri Nothing

Weekends Rest

I like it, especially the MONDAY nothing. I can't wait. I have never been without a job of some kind.

"What are you going to do all day?"

"Anything I want!" :D

Every day's a Saturday, and every night's a Saturday night. :)

I guess either its us or them thats strange.. I think its them tho

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just got asked that today (Feb 29 is my last day),,

my answer: Whatever I want, whenever I want to.

Not really true, but nicer than "none of your f.....ing business"....

Mon Nothing
Tues Nothing
Wed Nothing
Thu Nothing
Fri Nothing

Weekends Rest

What he said. Doing nothing takes a lot of time. This time of year I read a lot, spend a lot of time online, and staring off into space.:LOL:

I forget where I read it but I like this quote:

"Sometimes I sits on the porch and thinks, and sometimes I just sits."

My answer to that was usually " not going to anymore meetings".

The last person I reported loved to hold meeting after meeting after meeting.

"What are you going to do all day?"

"Anything I want!" :D

Every day's a Saturday, and every night's a Saturday night. :)

+1000

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

"You know all those people who buy lottery tickets so they don't have to work again? I'm going to do what they want to do, but without the winning-the-lottery part." And then I throw in a few examples of things I don't have time for now - volunteer at Mom's retirement home, yoga classes, travel, read, cook.

13 weeks to go.

This would be my response: "Retirement isn't about what I'm going to do; it's about what I'm not going to do." And you can elaborate from there: not get up at 5am every day, not stress about the boss' deadlines, etc.

At one point, on our Saudi project, as part of an overall downsizing operation, 'The Company' offered early retirement packages to a number of eligible employees.

Most accepted the offer immediately and enthusiastically, but this one guy hounded all the others with questions such as 'What would you do?".......when given the stock responses, he apparently, (and I heard this from a couple of the others), stated that he 'needed' to know where he'd be and what he'd be doing at any given time of day.

Finally one guy who was (eagerly) accepting the offer told him he wasn't ready to retire and should continue w*rking.

My standard reply was that if pursue all the things that interested me but that I didn't have enough time for when working. That work was interfering with life so it was time to stop working.
... Some people got it. Others not so much.

Back
Top Bottom